Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is virtualisation support required for VirtualBox??

Beans

Is virtualisation support required for VirtualBox??

Hi,

The laptop that I intend to buy has this kind of processor./http://ark.intel.com/products/69669/

This processor does not have Virtualisation and Hyperthreading..see above link.

My question will I be able to run VirtualBox on the laptop? The main OS will be Ubuntu 12.04 and the VirtualBox will run Windows 7, or Windows XP.

I read in the internet that Virtualisation is needed to run VirtualBox...

Please enlighten me...

thanks
    a

Beans

Re: Is virtualisation support required for VirtualBox??

Quote Originally Posted by arunb View Post
    Hi,

The laptop that I intend to buy has this kind of processor./http://ark.intel.com/products/69669/

This processor does not have Virtualisation and Hyperthreading..see above link.

My question will I be able to run VirtualBox on the laptop? The main OS will be Ubuntu 12.04 and the VirtualBox will run Windows 7, or Windows XP.

I read in the internet that Virtualisation is needed to run VirtualBox...

Please enlighten me...

thanks
    a
    http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10.html#hwvirt
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

Are you thinking about

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) and Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)?

I recently tried to run a 64 bit system in VirtualBox in a new computer, and had to switch on VT-x in a BIOS menu to succeed. But I'm pretty sure it works for 32 bit systems without it, because I have 32 bit guest systems in an old computer (this one I'm using now) both with and without VT-x activated in the virtual machines for 32 bit systems (and they work).

Beans

Is hardware virtualization support required for VirtualBox ??

I am planning to buy a laptop with a Pentium Dual Core (2nd Generation) processor. The laptop would run on Ubuntu 12.04 (64 Bit), and the virtualbox will run Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.04 (32 Bit).

The processor details are...

Pentium Dual Core (2nd generation)
    Variant: B980
    RAM: 8 GB (Max.) DDR3 1333Mhz Speed: 2.4 Ghz
    2MB Cache

Will the above processor work ??

According to the support page for this processor...http://ark.intel.com/products/69669/

There is no support for hardware virtualization, also no hyper threading support.

Is it possible to run VirtualBox without this support ??

Please do be correct as this info is very crucial to me since I have not yet bought the laptop...

thanks
    a

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is hardware virtualization support required for VirtualBox ??

Please read the replies in your previous thead!

As far as I understand the support for 64 bit guest systems needs virtualisation, but you can run 32 bit guest systems without it. What do you want and need? The better you explain to us, the better advice we can give to you.
    Finally you should know that we (who help at the Ubuntu Forums) are volunteers. We get no money, so we cannot give any guarantees, only advice based on our experience. The advice is almost always correct, but no guarantee.

Beans

yes sudodus thats what I have in mind...

These two technologies are not supported in the processor. As I haven't yet bought the laptop I wanted to be sure...

@haqking..

I read the link you posted..It says VirtualBox can run on old systems which have no hardware virtualisation technology, but is it possible to run Windows 7 (64bit) ??

thanks
    a

Beans

Re: Is hardware virtualization support required for VirtualBox ??

I need to run Windows 7 (64Bit) for some Windows based programs, the other OSes (ubuntu 10.04, windows XP) are all 32 bit.

I have read your replies in the older thread...

Sorry for the double post, I did not realise that I had posted the same question in two different forums.

It seem I should buy a system which has support for hardware virtualisation technology..

thanks
    a

Beans
    Hidden!

My experience is that I cannot run 64 bit guest systems in Virtualbox without VT-x. So if I would like to run Windows 7 (64bit) as a guest system, I would get another computer. The computer where I run 64 bit guest systems has an intel i5 cpu

http://ark.intel.com/products/53452/

It came with a computer that I bought 'second-hand'.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 31st, 2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: small changes to make it clear what I mean

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Threads merged.

Please do not start duplicate threads.

Thanks!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by arunb View Post
    I read the link you posted..It says VirtualBox can run on old systems which have no hardware virtualisation technology, but is it possible to run Windows 7 (64bit) ??
    No.

If your CPU or motherboard don't support VT-x or AMD-V then you can only run 32-bit guest OS's.
    Your VM's will also be much slower than the same VM running on a machine that does support hardware virtualization.
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast