Beans

Question undo dd command?

I just ran:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=8388608
    And pressed ctrl+c in the middle of it. Got output:
    742213+0 records in
    742213+0 records out
    760026112 bytes (760 MB) copied, 9.10778 s, 83.4 MB/s
    There are not many beginner-friendly documentations out there for dd command, so even though I know what dd does, i don't know what it would do in this case:
    /swapfile partition doesn't exist by default
    /dev/zero is not a real partition (or at least I don't know what it really is...)
    Can someone tell me what exactly happened here or how can I undo this?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: undo dd command?

I don't think you can undo this command, because there is no backup for that.

Beans

but what happened here? Did I just create a new partition? was any data lost?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

dd is a utility for reading/writing data, often direct to disk hardware but also regular files. But I guess you knew that.

/dev/zero is being used as the input file. But in fact, /dev/zero is a dummy device driver that simply yields zero bytes for as long as you keep reading from it.

/swapfile would be a regular file located in the root directory. It's not normal to have such a file, so you would have created it.

The overall effect of the command is to create a file called /swapfile which contains 83 megabytes of zeros. I guess you are thinking of using it as swap space rather than using a normal swap partition.

P.S. this command would undo it:
    Code:
    sudo rm /swapfile
    P.P.S:
    For anyone else reading:
    NEVER use a dd command without understanding what it will do. It is most commonly used for directly writing to hard disks and this cannot be undone. This case is unusual in merely creating a regular file which can be deleted again.
    Last edited by The Cog; March 31st, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Beans

Hello The Cog,
    Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Ubuntu Forums is just such a warm and welcoming place!