Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can i run compiz effects ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: can i run compiz effects ?

Quote Originally Posted by amhndu View Post
    Ok , one last question , running those commands only installs the environments or all those packages the original distribution has ?
    Here's the lists of what packages get installed with each one

lubuntu-desktop

lxde

openbox
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by amhndu View Post
    thank you very much for that info.
    BTW can you also tell me about other ubuntu variants , so i can choose from then the most appropriate.

And does these light weight environments have compiz etc. eye candies that I CAN run ? (though not a necessity for me)

is lubuntu = light ubuntu ?
    I think it is best to try. Either download the iso files or install the desktop environments and run them yourself

Lubuntu is Ubuntu with LXDE and it is light. Xubuntu is medium light and a little more fancy. I guess it is possible to install compiz, but I think very few people run it with Lubuntu and Xubuntu. It is better to choose a distro that comes with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Those Compiz effects that you ask about are now discontinued. You still have Wobbly Windows and other effects on 12.04 but you have to install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager and as previous mentioned you need a graphic adapter that can handle those effects. But they are not available from 12.10 onwards. There are not enough developers to maintain those Compiz effects.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Those Compiz effects that you ask about are now discontinued. You still have Wobbly Windows and other effects on 12.04 but you have to install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager and as previous mentioned you need a graphic adapter that can handle those effects. But they are not available from 12.10 onwards. There are not enough developers to maintain those Compiz effects.

Regards.
    Most effects (wobbly windows in particular) are still in 13.04 daily build and 12.10 (with Unity)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12