Thread: *Urgent!* Gparted taking FOREVER to delete partition data!

Beans

Exclamation *Urgent!* Gparted taking FOREVER to delete partition data!

Hi folks. I have been having a LOT of problem with Ubuntu over the past few hours and I'm facing the probability of having to re-install my entire system. It all started at around 3:00 pm when my computer shut off due to lack of battery power. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but when I tried to reboot the PC, it went straight to effing BusyBox(the bane of my Ubuntu existence!). This had happened a few times before, so I tried to reboot, which usually worked after several tries. No luck.Needing to get my Ubuntu back into shape, I tried a piece of advice I found here: odzangba.wordpress.com/2011/5/14/455 Unfortunately, it didn't work: I followed the instructions to the best of my ability, but never could get it to work. I eventually gave up and decided to reinstall my system. The only problem? Erasing Ubuntu 11.04 would now erase every single partition on my disk, including Windows Vista & the Toshiba recovery partition, even though I'd dedicated a special 40 GB partition to the Ubuntu installation. I decided to try GParted to try to delete the data in said partition, starting with the swap files, only 10 GB in total. It's been about 15 minutes since I started and it's still doing it, apparently. What's going on? I need help, and fast!

Beans

Re: *Urgent!* Gparted taking FOREVER to delete partition data!

Actually, never mind, I have the GParted thing solved now. Might be back on the forums if I DO need help, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

SteveL1990;

Late response I guess is better than none at all.
    I recon you learned the hard way to run GParted from a liveCD so that the partitions you are working on are not in a mounted state ?
    In any event, if you have problems, we are here.

a process called learning

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good news. Please mark thread as solved by editing first post and clicking 'Go Advanced' then editing the title prefix to 'Solved'.

Post a new thread with any further issues.