Thread: Graphics drivers are fine when testing, but "break" after installation!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Graphics drivers are fine when testing, but "break" after installation!

This might sound odd, but I have a very peculiar graphics driver issue. Basically, I pop the Live CD in, and "try Ubuntu". Everything works fine from GUI animation, to fullscreen flash, to even full-screen 3D graphics.

However, when I install the OS itself, and reboot into it "properly" for the first time, everything breaks. If I stick with open source, I'm unable to use the computer at all, and if I switch to any of the proprietary ATI drivers, usually the OS will be laggy, full-screen flash videos will be black, or 3D graphics will be choppy and glitchy.

It seems as if somewhere in between testing the OS out, and installing/updating it "breaks" the drivers. What can I do to keep them?

I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) graphics card, and I'm running a 64-bit OS.

Beans

Re: Graphics drivers are fine when testing, but "break" after installation!

Click the gearbox at the top right corner of the screen, and select the About This Computer option. Under the Graphics section, does it say Unknown? I'm thinking that it doesn't, but just wanting to make sure.