Re: How install Panasonic KX-MB2000 printer
I see. From this, I assume that you have never used the command line before. Okay, if you take it a small step at a time, you should be able to get to where you want to go.
...they seem to me to be in a foreign language.
They just as magically install viruses and Trojans, but we will leave that for another day.
(I am spoiled with .exe files that you just double-click and they automatically (in hindsight, magically) install themselves.)
This sequence is a convention in all help forums and instruction manuals (including Windows) that stands in for clicking on the stated components and drilling down to each submenu. In the above case, it is just instructions for opening your terminal. You first activate your Dash, Click on Applications, then click on installed, etc.
...am i then supposed to type “Dash home” -> ”Application” -> “Installed” -> “Terminal” in the menu ?
This is a classy and generous sentiment that does you great credit. I hope the same for you!
I look forward to being able to pay it forward someday!
Now to the matter at hand:
1. I assume that you have extracted the file to a directory on your desktop. If not, then the following instructions must be modified to get to the directory you extracted the file to. If the directory is on your desktop, then you should see mccgdi-2.0.3-i686
2. Open up a terminal. Type:
Remember, in Linux, case matters. This command navigates you to the directory of the driver that you just extracted. The symbol ~ is just an alias for /home/your_user_name to save you the trouble of typing the longer path name. You can also see what the path to your driver is from the GUI file manager, Thunar. It might be a good idea to use Thunar to double check that the above path is correct.
3. To make sure that the driver has been properly extracted, do:This command lists all of the files in the current directory. Among the files, you should see:If you do not see this file, then you are not in the right directory, or you did not properly extract the file.
4. If 3 above is okay, then type:
The system will ask you for your login password. Type this in. The system will not respond to your typing in any way. This is a security precaution and is standard behaviour, but the system is accepting your password all the same. Once the password has been entered, you should see a whole bunch of operations flowing through your terminal window. Do not close your terminal until all of the operations have completed and you are back to the $ sign.
5. You should now have installed your driver. Hopefully, you can now follow the rest of the instructions in the manual under <Setting up the printer driver> because they have GUI examples to guide you.
Apologies for the delayed response. I've been entertaining family for Easter.
Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.