Thread: Crazy amount of updates in 13.04

Beans

Crazy amount of updates in 13.04

Last night I had 120 updates waiting for me on my system, all of which I installed. This morning there were 70 more updates, and after I installed all of those another 50 were waiting in less than an hour. Is this normal for a pre-release version? Also, is this the equivalent of getting the daily build each day? I really like 13.04, but I don't enjoy having my system in a constant state of updating. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Crazy amount of updates in 13.04

Thats the point of a pre-release. Testing, bug fixes, and new features. So that is normal and you really must update at least every day, preferably twice a day. If you have problems with constant updating, move back to 12.10 or 12.04 and wait a month after 13.04 releases then come back to it. A month is all that is needed to calm the updates down.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

^^^
    What ManamiVixen said.
    Yes it is normal. And sometimes breakage occurs. If you're not comfortable with that, wait for the release. After the release, the feature set is frozen and you only get security updates and critical bug fixes.

Beans

I really like 13.04, but I don't enjoy having my system in a constant state of updating. Thanks.
    RR = "Rolling Release".

Beans

Thanks for the quick response. I guess it doesn't help that I have a lot of software + all of the variant desktop environments installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When Raring development began in November it had the kernel from 12.10 (Linux kernel 3.5.0). Since then I have had 10 - 12 updates to the 3.7.0 and I have just had my 15th update to the Linux kernel 3.8.0.

Each release is built upon the code base of the previous release. Sometimes the differences between one release and the next are small. But there are big differences between 12.10 and 13.04 and even more to come. There was an intention to bring in Unity 7 and 100 scopes into 13.04. That would have meant a massive download of small packages. It is not going to happen now. But just wait until 13.10 starts development. In the next year we will get Unity 6 changing to Unity 7 and then to Unity Next. There will be 100 scopes or more and then the display server is going to be changed as Ubuntu converges desktop, phone, tablet and TV into one user interface.

It is a time of change. Ubuntu 14.04 will be as different to 12.04 as 12.04 was different to 10.04. Think of the development branch as "bleeding edge."
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: Crazy amount of updates in 13.04

I anticipated multiple update and possibly 'breakage' - IMHO that's what beta and daily releases are all about. I have 4 Ubuntu installations:

1. Laptop running on internal HDD 12.10
    2. Laptop running on USB HDD 13.04
    3. Tower running on internal HDD 12.10
    4. Tower running on Second partition internal HDD daily 13.04

I am testing to extreme because I want to kick M$ off my machines as much as feasible

You might consider adjusting software sources
    Last edited by pfeiffep; March 30th, 2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add information

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Dont worry guys, you only got a very small number of the whole packages lists been rebuilt (around 20 000 packages). This might take several days to be done; and its the way to get rid of bugs inheritance (ubuntu system quality).

Beans

Updates always speed up in the last few weeks of a development phase, as more & more "showstopper" bugs are closed before the final release date.

To minimise breakage, either don't use the development version of Ubuntu, or at least don't use the "proposed" repo (as buggy software in proposed is fixed, it gets shunted to main).
    i5 2500K / Corsair H50-1 / Asus P8P67-M Pro / 16GB Corsair Vengeance / EVGA GTX260 SSC / HP BDRW / 120GB Crucial M4 SSD /
    OCZ Modstream 780W / CoolerMaster 590 case / Dell E248WFP / Saitek Eclipse II / Logitech G9 / Ubuntu 12.10-64