Thread: unable to install 10.04.3

Beans

unable to install 10.04.3

I just put a new motherboard into my computer. (Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H)

I put my Ubuntu 10.04.3 cd and when it ran I got this message:
    (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

I have put this program from this cd on various computers and have never seen this before.

I was able to install 12.10 with no problems, but I prefer the older version with the disk utility among other differences.

Does anyone have a solution.

Beans

Re: unable to install 10.04.3

There is a problem with the optical drive or the CD -- the drive is not able to read the CD.

It is also possible there is a compatibility problem between the old optical drive and the new motherboard.
    Last edited by dabl; March 30th, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does the CD read correctly? I have often experiensed problem with the CD/CD-drives. Are the CD dirty and so on...

You can check the CD with https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Anyway are you awared that 10.04LTS don't get supported after 9-may this year? 12:10 are supported to april-2014 but 12.04 are supported untill april-2017?
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64bit, 14.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 14.04LTS?

Beans

i got the same result with a usb stick so i suspect that the problem is not cd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system.
    I do not think that there is a way around this. I had the same problem a few weeks ago with every ISO of Raring Ringtail that I tried. It was and still is under development. But the problem is now fixed. I never had an issue like that with any ISO image of Ubuntu before.

I recently installed Ubuntu Kylin 13.04 to a USB stick and things were fine until an update got stuck and I powered off. The update included a kernel update and when I booted again I got that same error message. I simply re-installed. Believe what the message says. It cannot find a live file system.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530