Thread: How to get ATI graphics card to play nice with Steam games?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question How to get ATI graphics card to play nice with Steam games?

EVERYTHING works fine in my OS, from full-screen flash/videos to no window/GUI lag to even non-Steam games (2D/3D) that work fantastic.

However, when I play a game like Half-Life, or even Osmos (2D, but using 3D particle effects), I'm greeted to a blank color that fills the screen, and my cursor left to wander around. Other games will have an odd resolution, and will only fill the bottom left quadrant of the screen. I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) card, and I upgraded to the exact drivers Steam recommended in a popup.

I'm running a 64-bit (derivative of) Ubuntu 12.04 if that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to get ATI graphics card to play nice with Steam games?

Quote Originally Posted by Cam! View Post
    EVERYTHING works fine in my OS, from full-screen flash/videos to no window/GUI lag to even non-Steam games (2D/3D) that work fantastic.

However, when I play a game like Half-Life, or even Osmos (2D, but using 3D particle effects), I'm greeted to a blank color that fills the screen, and my cursor left to wander around. Other games will have an odd resolution, and will only fill the bottom left quadrant of the screen. I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) card, and I upgraded to the exact drivers Steam recommended in a popup.

I'm running a 64-bit (derivative of) Ubuntu 12.04 if that helps.
    hi
    sorry - but for playing have a look at my attachement. that's the best way for games (my children told me - and i belive)
    ciao
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How to get ATI graphics card to play nice with Steam games?

Believe me, I know all about that! Windows 8 is just so....crap! Hell, I'm not even a fan of W7.