Thread: Mini Lubuntu (MLubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb Mini Lubuntu (MLubuntu)

Hi,

Kindly have a read here

Thank you!
    Last edited by amjjawad; March 30th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.

Beans

Re: Mini Lubuntu (MLubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Isn't that the same link that I posted?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not unlike something my friend did about 3 years ago. "Robin's Remix" was a minimal Ubuntu (9.04) with LXDE on top, and all lightweight applications. We used it at the dance school on a really old computer and no one knew it was Linux. A teacher thought it was Windows 98. It was really fast for such an old run-down computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Isn't that the same link that I posted?
    I see http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ml&h=WAQGVOnUY

I don't know which browser you're using but if you just keep your mouse cursor over each link and look at the left bottom corner of the browser window, you'll see what I mean (I hope). This should work for Chrome/Chromium or Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I see http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ml&h=WAQGVOnUY

I don't know which browser you're using but if you just keep your mouse cursor over each link and look at the left bottom corner of the browser window, you'll see what I mean (I hope). This should work for Chrome/Chromium or Firefox.
    Not sure what was wrong but it should be fine now. Thanks a lot.

I'm using Mr. Chrome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Brainstorming ...

Hello

Let's start some brainstorming, how about that?

One of the things in mind is:http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/06...tu-part-2.html

Part 1 can be found on the above link so you can tell from all this has come from.

Please note, this is very initial idea. Which means, we are just in the beginning. Things will sure be different when we start and finish, hopefully.

Let me know what do you think?
    Bottom Line: Create a system that is even lighter than Lubuntu and much simpler. However, it is not a good option for NEW comers to Linux!

I am looking forward to hear from you.

The name might not be Mini Lubuntu. We (in case we will have a team working on this project) may not use LXDE or the same packages in Lubuntu. I'm not yet sure. This is just the beginning!

Thanks!
    Last edited by amjjawad; July 10th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The last months were super crazy and busy so I had no time for this project but I just found some spare time so here are some thoughts.

During all that time, I was thinking and discussing with some friends on Facebook about this project. Lately, I have started a Real Life campaign to convert people to Linux. During this, I have seen many very old machines and some didn't even work for hardware faults, etc and totally dead. The ones that worked, each has its own surprise and gave me some hard time until I managed to install a flavour and get it working. One of these machines never worked on any flavour of Ubuntu. However, it worked with SliTaz like a charm.

That made me wondering:

1- What 'exactly' is different in Ubuntu (note that I have tried several releases so different Kernels) and its flavour which makes installing it on some hardware mission impossible?

2- I am aware that after 12.04, there is no support for NON-PAE machines. However, from what I have seen, there is a difference between say Xubuntu 12.04 and Crunchbang 32-bit for i486 which supports the NON-PAE machines?! is it the i386 and i486?

3- I have heard that the new releases 13.10 and later will not be or are not computable with NON-PAE Kernel so there is no way for any system based on Ubuntu 13.10 and above to support or work on a NON-PAE hardware no matter what?!

4- If my project will be based on Ubuntu 12.04, it might be able to support more range of old hardware but what if it will be based on Ubuntu 14.04? or that is too early to discuss?

5- Can someone PLEASE explain to me what exactly makes other system (Debian for example) LIGHTER than Ubuntu based system?
    I have talked to many friends and all of them confirmed that Debian with LXDE is Lighter than Lubuntu. Same goes for Crunchbang - for example. So, what exactly on Ubuntu Core build that makes it heavier?

6- The target of my project (this one - regardless of the name) is to have a lighter system than Lubuntu. It should be super minimal, yet it should have a DE (GUI). I am very confused yet and not sure what is the best DE and/or WM should I use for that? I don't want ugly build yet I want it lighter than Lubuntu.

These Qs I have in mind and guess the answers will help me to carry on with this project and decide whether it worthy to carry on or call this project off.

Thank you!

Beans

iceWM and pekwm run very light. They can be made pretty.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast