Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mini Lubuntu (MLubuntu)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mini Lubuntu (MLubuntu)

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Phill, former Lubuntu QA Team Leader (just like me, he stepped down/resigned from Lubuntu) was looking for someone to do exactly that as far as I can tell:
    I think Phill has such a kernel now, and it needs testing ...
    +1
    This is what I had in mind too. Newcomers will find this super hard for them. Some if not most don't even know what 'PAE' means!
    That is where the idea of this project has come from.
    Not superhard. Lubuntu fake-PAE makes it easy. The OBI makes it easy also for other flavours and re-spins of Ubuntu. And there is information about the PAE problem, when they try to install from the iso file, if the users didn't know. But a non-PAE kernel is better, it is the straight-forward way to do it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Not superhard. Lubuntu fake-PAE makes it easy. The OBI makes it easy also for other flavours and re-spins of Ubuntu. And there is information about the PAE problem, when they try to install from the iso file, if the users didn't know. But a non-PAE kernel is better, it is the straight-forward way to do it
    Please explain to us how it's easier? Easy is installing from a livecd or usb without any intervention. Having to jump through hoops to get your non pae pc to work is absolute bullschite in my honest opinion.

I've spent most of the day googling solutions to this problem wrt non-pae and ubuntu and in al seriousness does not give a continental **** about your old hardware. That's why I suggest people look at Debian as it's similar to ubuntu but you can still use it on your old hardware. There are many other distros that still do non-pae by default but I reckon most people would feel more familiar with a debian based distro.

If anybody thinks I'm talking crap please mention it and escalate

Beans
    Hidden!

Please check the instructions how to install using Lubuntu fake-PAE or the One Button Installer.

1. Download a compressed image instead of an iso file, the same level of difficulty.

2. Make a USB boot drive. If you are using mkusb, the same level of difficulty (very similar), sudo mkusb filename

3. Run the installer:

3a. Lubuntu fake-PAE grub-n-iso starts the iso file via grub2, so it is the same procedure (it looks like an installation with Unetbootin).

3b. Lubuntu fake-PAE installed system is somewhat different, actually simpler, but the difference might cause doubts and problems for users who want everything to be as usual.

3c. The One Button Installer is made to be easier and safer (more fool-proof) than the standard installers. It is somewhat different, which might cause doubts and problems for users who want everything to be as usual.

-o-

But a non-PAE kernel is better than fake-PAE, it is the straight-forward way to do it And I am involved in this process to use such a modern Ubuntu kernel. There is an advantage with Ubuntu and Ubuntu based flavours and re-spins and distros: They work for many people and computers without any tweaking, which is not the case with most other alternatives.
    Last edited by sudodus; December 21st, 2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: non-PAE is better than fake-PAE

Beans

I'm sorry but this fake-pae thing is just bs. I understand that it gives people an opportunity to change the kernel but it's way to complicated to noobs. Why can't they simply release their so called 'light' flavours with a non-pae kernel. it's not a sin. i will never understand how they got to this decision and implemented it.

Beans
    Hidden!

If a noob uses the OBI, [s]he will never mess with fake-PAE. It is there already installed in some of the tarballs. And it is similar with Lubuntu fake-PAE 'installed system'.

But I need to ask why you are so negative to fake-PAE. Maybe you have some bad experience of it. In that case, please let us know the details!

-o-

Maybe it happened like this: Celeron M and Pentium M were forgotten at a meeting about kernels, and when the decision to drop non-PAE kernels was made, those in charge did not want to reverse it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I understand that it gives people an opportunity to change the kernel but it's way to complicated to noobs. Why can't they simply release their so called 'light' flavours with a non-pae kernel. it's not a sin. i will never understand how they got to this decision and implemented it.
    +1

@sudodus

If a noob uses the OBI, [s]he will never mess with fake-PAE. It is there already installed in some of the tarballs. And it is similar with Lubuntu fake-PAE 'installed system'.
    'Still' complicated and might be even 'very' complicated for first timers
    We are talking about those who have never even heard of Linux.

That is why, I am trying to go ahead with this project to simply offer a NON-PAE Kernel for old machines so they will 'not' be forsaken.
    Also, since Trusty has not yet released and will be released after 8-April-2014 (EOL of Windows XP), I am willing to base this system on Ubuntu 12.04 Mini ISO and yes, it is going to be an LTS

By the way, "Mubuntu" name is taken:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mubuntu-main/

So, I am working with my team now to finish the naming process and very soon, we shall start the real fun

Beans
    Hidden!

'Still' complicated and might be even 'very' complicated for first timers
    We are talking about those who have never even heard of Linux.
    Please try the OBI before saying that it is very complicated

Think of a person who has never even heard of Linux, but is used to install programs in Windows XP. Compare the steps to install linux the OBI way with the ISO file way!
    Last edited by sudodus; January 11th, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Please try the OBI before saying that it is very complicated

Think of a a person who has never even heard of Linux, but is used to install programs in Windows XP. Compare the steps to install linux the OBI way with the ISO file way!
    If you are willing to contribute to our (because I am not alone, there are good people who are so willing to participate) project and maybe OBI can be the default installer, then it is a good chance to try it on real hardware

But, just for the record, this project will have NON-PAE Kernel by default so with or without OBI, this system should support old and newer hardware

Beans
    Hidden!

If you are willing to contribute to our (because I am not alone, there are good people who are so willing to participate) project and maybe OBI can be the default installer, then it is a good chance to try it on real hardware

But, just for the record, this project will have NON-PAE Kernel by default so with or without OBI, this system should support old and newer hardware
    I made an OBI tarball with an experimental nonpae kernel. You find it here: http://phillw.net/isos/one-button-installer/rc/

Beans
    Distro

I made an OBI tarball with an experimental nonpae kernel. You find it here: http://phillw.net/isos/one-button-installer/rc/
    That is good but it is a bit early for this project to discuss the installer now. We need to choose a name. Finish the team Setup on Launchpad, etc. Create some Artwork for the name, etc (I hope Rafael can help with this or any one interested). Book the domain for the website (there is another member who is very interested to be in charge of the website of this project). Decide the default DE/WM, etc. And maybe at the end to discuss the installer

But definitely, having someone like you with us on this project is a huge plus because we both worked together on this very topic (old hardware and lightweight systems) and I do know how helpful you will be to us

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast