Thread: Browsers

Beans

Browsers

Firefox is outdated(according to my school and like 4 other sites telling me to update my browser the the latest FF), and I was wondering what would be a good alternitive

I looked at Chromanium (looks like a repackaged google chrome), but like this firefox is seems repackaged and specificically engineered for this version of ubuntu.

anyways onto the meat....Would using the version of google chrome have any negitive affects on the system, and if so how does one remove programs manually from ubuntu

(currently using 12.04 x64)
    Windows users converted: 21
    --AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor × 4 (3.0ghz) | 8gig 1333mhz memory | nvidia geforce gtx 430(fermi)| 750G SATAII

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Browsers

Plenty of people use chrome
    Me included
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you been updating your system?

12.04 currently has Firefox version 19 which is the latest version available. The only reason you are still using an older version would be if you haven't been updating your system on a regular basis.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Chrome , Iron , Dragon and some others are actually repackaged versions of Chromium .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Have you been updating your system?

12.04 currently has Firefox version 19 which is the latest version available. The only reason you are still using an older version would be if you haven't been updating your system on a regular basis.
    Everyday I check and update. I just find it weird some websites dont let me use its features because of an "incompatable browser"
    Windows users converted: 21
    --AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor × 4 (3.0ghz) | 8gig 1333mhz memory | nvidia geforce gtx 430(fermi)| 750G SATAII

Beans

The sites you are trying to access are likely "Internet Explorer" only sites or sites that only cater to Windows based browsers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Yudraciell View Post
    Everyday I check and update. I just find it weird some websites dont let me use its features because of an "incompatable browser"
    It's actually more likely that the website is incompatible with a standard's based web-browser. I run into this occasionally. Either the people running the website are not following the standards or they choose to do things their own way. Either way the error is on their part and no fault of Firefox.

See this article here: http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...bytes-of-data/

Firefox was the only browser immune to the attack because Firefox was the only browser that implemented the standard that was put forth. All the other browsers were not standards compliant, which caused them to be vulnerable to exploit with this attack.

I've tried all the other browsers. I always ended up coming back to firefox. I think it is pro-community to use Firefox also because of its standards compliance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Happy epiphany user here