Thread: Transfering PDF files and PDF Creator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Angry Transfering PDF files and PDF Creator

I've been consolidating old backup files and took some PDFs I create through Open office and placed them on my Windows XP machine through Samba. The issue is that the PDFs can't be read on the Windows XP machine. I was about to delete them when I tried to moved them back on the Ubuntu Machine. The Ubuntu Machine reads the files just fine. This leads me to believe that the program that created the PDF, didn't doo a good job. Since I can still read them on the Ubuntu system, I was wondering if anyone has a good PDF creator, one that I can use to print the files to another format.
    Last edited by Seeker84; March 30th, 2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added solved flag

Beans

Re: Transfering PDF files and PDF Creator

What software did you use when you tried to read the files in the Windows machine? And what errors did you get?

I have created pdf files successfully with Open Office, both in Ubuntu and Windows. Now I run Libre Office and can do the same. I think that the pdf files are readable by Adobe Acrobat Reader, at least if the original format was not too complicated.

You can use ImageMagick convert to convert pdf files, and you can test if they would be easier to read.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was using Abode Reader X, the error is:
    "Adobe Reader could not open'<File Name>.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged ( for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

I think that that isn't right because when I bring the files back to the Ubuntu machine it opens and reads the files just fine in Evince Document Viewer 2.22.2.

I'll try the recommended ideas and get back, about 30 minutes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The convert option seems to solve my issue with not opening the PDF.

My problem with creating the documents is that I wanted to have a printer to create the PDFs. That doesn't look like a good idea based on my issue. But Open Office has an export function which seems to work for what I want to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED]: Transfering PDF files and PDF Creator

Cuz I can't figure out how to mark this thread as solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker84 View Post
    The convert option seems to solve my issue with not opening the PDF.

My problem with creating the documents is that I wanted to have a printer to create the PDFs. That doesn't look like a good idea based on my issue. But Open Office has an export function which seems to work for what I want to do.
    I thought that you were using the export function all the time, so I didn't tell you about it. I'm glad you found out, so that your new pdf files will be good

And you can use convert to fix the quality of the old pdf files.

See this link to mark the thread as SOLVED http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121377&p=12536730#post12536730

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: [SOLVED]: Transfering PDF files and PDF Creator

For those of you who need a script(like me) to convert multiple file in the same directory using the covert function mentioned above, here's a bash file that I successfully used. Be aware, ImageMagick had to be installed first and I manually created the convert Directory within the working one.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    for f in *.pdf;
    do
      echo "Processing $f file..."
      # take action on each file. $f store current file name
      convert "$f" convert/"$f"
    done
    Last edited by Seeker84; March 30th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.