Thread: Lightworks NLE video preview

Beans

Thumbs up Lightworks NLE video preview

Just viewed a great video demo of Lightworks professional video editor for Linux. The demo was done on Ubuntu.

Been waiting a long time for a professional NLE for Linux and it would appear the Lightworks public beta will be released before the end of the month.

Here's a link to the demo/overview of Lightworks on Ubuntu:

http://youtu.be/jEJcPKD9p7A

A dream come true!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lightworks NLE video preview

You will probably need to buy the pro version as the free one has little codec support*. However is is reasonably priced, something like £40 per year AFAIR.
    Definitely good news for Linux.

*from my experience installing it onto a friends Windows PC.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    You will probably need to buy the pro version as the free one has little codec support*. However is is reasonably priced, something like £40 per year AFAIR.
    Definitely good news for Linux.

*from my experience installing it onto a friends Windows PC.
    Yep, looking at 40 quid/year which is fantastic for a professional NLE. A mere fraction of what Sony's Vegas costs in seemingly annual updates. Don't even want to think about the extravagant cost of keeping Avid Media Composer updated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's possible to use the free version, if you convert your videos to one of the few formats it supports, which can be done with ffmpeg.

That said, yeah, the paid version is well worth it.

Beans

I'd be interested in reading any reviews if someone here does go ahead and try the full version when/if it is released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gppixelworks View Post
    Been waiting a long time for a professional NLE for Linux
    indeed. I've been waiting for a very long time for a PROFESSIONAL video editing application to come on the Linux Platform. I'm Beta testing Lightworks 11.5 on Ubuntu 10.5 and it's a very capable application. It supports all professional video formats and can even handle 3D STEREOSCOPIC clips. It's definitely a class apart!

One thing disappointed me with Ubuntu is that in 2010 (ever since version 11.04) they seriously messed up the IEEE1394 stack making DV capture via FireWire impossible - worst - they don't seem to be willing to fix it, despite the numerous bug reports.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I'd be interested in reading any reviews if someone here does go ahead and try the full version when/if it is released.
    Because the Linux version is still in beta you won't find any Reviews, but since the application is very functional there are some excellent Previews.

Here are 2 videos showing Lightworks in action under Ubuntu Linux (features never seen before on Linux):

Youtube: Lightworks for LINUX Preview
    and
    YouTube Lightworks for Linux Preview | LAS | s24e04

For $60/yr, it's very reasonable for something that has been in professional studios for 24 years (since 1989 in other platforms). It has just been ported to Linux and still in Beta so for it may be a bit rough around the edges. But it’s the only professional NLE video editor for Linux.
    Last edited by dimitri6; December 3rd, 2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Updated video links