Thread: boot HDD not reconised by pc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

boot HDD not reconised by pc

Hi, I don't know what I messed up, but my booting is damaged.

Now I started pc via live cd, opened GParted, but it find no device there. ( I have now only one HDD with the OS's connected). On the terminal the command "sudo blkid" find only the live cd.
    The "sudo fdisk -l" doesn't react.

I get this problem yesterday. I think after playing with GPrted, even if I didn't change anything at the end.
    The monitor gets unexpected frozen at first. After restart I couldn't boot. Get the messige about NTLDR. Then I restarted with live CD, where I couldn't see the HDD with OS in GParted at first. At the end it worked for a while again, even if I didn't change anything, and now I get the same problem.

Thanks for helping.
    Last edited by doja; March 31st, 2013 at 09:05 AM.

Beans

Re: boot HDD not reconised by pc

Quote Originally Posted by doja View Post
    I get this problem yesterday. I think after playing with GPrted, even if I didn't change anything at the end.
    GParted is nothing to play around with -- especially if all your data are not securely backed up first.

If you didn't wipe out something essential, you should be able to recover with the Boot Recovery tool here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769482

Also note that some motherboards need the "boot" flag set on the bootable partition.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Looks like hardware failure. Even if you messed up the partition table completely, fdisk should report the disk as present in any case.

Try with parted too, from live mode:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    If that doesn't report /dev/sda, most likely it's the disk itself.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The hardware failure came up in my mind after I posted my problem.
    I checked the connections of the HDD and switched a plug in on Motherboard. Now I can boot again.
    But I thought that even if I use live CD I'm still using the HDD. That if there would be no connection to HDD
    I couldn't start even from the Live CD.

Dabl you are right Gparted is nothing to play around. But I'm carefull with my data.
    I tried the repair tool you made a link to before my posting but after starting this tool it
    gave me no option ' Recommanded repair' There was only the button 'create a bootinfo summary'.
    But I will try it now when I can boot again, maybe it find some bug.

My status quo is that I can now boot from my HDD where I have 3 OS. XP and then 2 Ubuntu.
    I wrote that I get screen freze. I found out that this freeze is given by using Firefox. Before starting this application everithing is ok.
    After trying to start browser I get screen freeze. I deinstall and reinstall Firefox. I additionally install chrome. And both browsers cause a freeze.

If I start my second Ubuntu installation broswer is running fine. There are no problems.

I don't know if there is still some bug in booting that can appear maybe again or if it was really only a connection.
    I would like also repair the browser problem in my standard ubuntu installation.

Can you give me some links for commands or tools that can check it?
    Last edited by doja; March 30th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.

Beans

When you boot a Live CD, there is no involvement of the hdd -- there doesn't even need to be a hard drive on the computer.

If your system is booting and running reliably, then it sounds like maybe there is a video issue or maybe only a Firefox issue. In that case, you should start a new thread in the multimedia or desktop forum to deal with that issue.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04