Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when i type 'Sudo su' - "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be reported"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: when i type 'Sudo su' - "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be repor

Hi, please keep the thread on topic - the OP is asking about why they can't use sudo/edit the sudoers file

Thanks
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Re: when i type 'Sudo su' - "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be repor

Is the account you are trying to use sudo with the first account that was created during intsall, or is it an account created later?

Can you post the output of the command "id"?

Beans

Hi all.... Thanks for the replies
    stilll i am looking for the answer .. This problem occured when i started to install Java in Ubuntu.
    The tried to run the command 'sudo apt-get purge openjdk-\* ',i got the error as "User not in the sudoers file.This incident will be reported"
    when i done search on internet ... i got the result as .. if i run "sudo su" then i can run the command mentined above.
    Please find the attachment for the snapshot of the error output.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Please see the questions in my last post.

I don't think you are supposed to be logging in as hadoop. Try logging in as the username you gave during the install. I don't think hadoop should be in sudoers - should not have the right to switch to root.

Beans

yeah ... you are right ... when i try using the first username , I can login ...
    but when i login to second username(hadoop) i cant ..

Beans

OK, let's explain a bit more. The first user created during install is automatically given the right to use sudo to raise their privilege. Other users created later are not, and it you want them to be able to use sudo you have to add them to the adm group. But you should only put trusted users in the adm group, and should not put applications such as hadoop in there. Applications, especially network-active ones, should not have that ability in case they contain a bug that allows remote exploits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12