Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop Not Loading (Not sure what happened)

Beans

Question Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop Not Loading (Not sure what happened)

My main user account's desktop won't show up. Really strange and it kind of happened out of no where. I had just installed Gnome, and changed into gnome 3. It was working well until I rebooted, then nothing, not even unity would show up. I am using another user I created and am able to do everything, but I want my old account back! Any help?
    Last edited by MrSlugInfinite; March 31st, 2013 at 07:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop Not Loading (Not sure what happened)

Can you see the /home/username* in the file system?
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Yes it shows up. I am experimenting in windows with Xubuntu and 12.04 to see if it will run any better. I feel I may have broken the install because my internet will randomly shut off and I have to reboot in order to reconnect. Maybe if I knew more terminal commands I could figure it out but it seems the best would be to reinstall and keep learning. Thanks for responding!

Maybe it has something to do with my hardware? My PC is pretty low-end. Core 2 duo 2.13 ghz Radeon HD 4650. I know it was hard to get the AMD drivers to function. I guess somebody has to upgrade their PC sooner or later..
    Last edited by MrSlugInfinite; March 30th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Personally I don't mix desktop environments within a single system. This is probably behind your trouble.
    I too run a Core 2 Duo 2.1
    Intel graphics
    3GB RAM

All *buntu environments work well on it
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

You mean running in a VM? Or dual booting Win/Ubuntu?

If you mean running in a VM, I only did that to test the xubuntu 12.04. I deleted ubuntu and got xubuntu 12.04. Have to say I really like this XFCE more than Unity. Runs way smoother and faster now. Seems like whatever I do, something is going wrong.. My wireless internet likes to shut off randomly after 20 or so minutes of browsing. It says it is still connected. If I press disconnect on the menu it freezes and won't disconnect or turn off wireless. A simple fix though, I just unplug and plug in the Linksys AE1000 wireless adapter (I have the drivers installed, possibly not correctly though I guess). If you have any insight on that I would be grateful!

And on the topic of VM, mine were running very slow. Especially when I tried ubuntu. There was a considerable performance boost with Xubuntu on the VM although.

Beans
    Distro

I didn't mention VM's

I mean I don't install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop from the software manager and try using KDE. I would rather have a separate install and use KDE.
    I'm not saying you can't do it. It just isn't my way. I find it can make a mess of some things. (Eg: Dropbox)... thought I better give an example.

XFCE is less hungry then Unity or KDE.

Really, you need to settle on one install.. say XFCE
    Then work in the forum to resolve any issues, such as your wireless.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Yes I think I am an Xubuntu type person now. Definitely my level of simplicity! Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm going to be looking around first and see if I can't sort out this wireless issue. Although, doing things myself is what brought me into this mess in the first place!