Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Old hardware brought back to life

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: pls tell me which OS is more suitable for my pc

I suggest that you download Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS which has long time support until April 2015.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re....04.2/release/

The current Lubuntu versions have only 18 months support.

Edit: Maybe I should explain why Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS.

- enough RAM
    - a business application, so official LTS (long time support) is preferred.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 30th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Old hardware megathread

If you want to play video, you might install openbox into your Xubuntu system (any time after installation of Xubuntu)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openbox
    which gives you a very simple window manager (no full desktop environment), and it will be faster for playing video than with the default Xubuntu desktop. I think openbox has LTS thanks to Kubuntu 12.04.2, where it is included.

Select which desktop environment to run at the log in screen. Simply right-click on the dark grey background to start a terminal window in openbox.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Old hardware

I use to be an advocate of Xubuntu for older machines, but these days even XFCE seems to run slower. I guess it should now be considered a middleweight, making Lubuntu the better choice.

Beans

hi thanks to all the replies. i'm thinking does Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS come with something like ms office or words??cos i need those to do my daily report.

Beans

hi i've a pentium(R) 4 cpu 1.8Ghz and 1.79Ghz,1.96 Gb of Ram . it also have 80 Gb of hard disc. do you think Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS is suitable for me?? and i also need something like ms exel and ms word to do my daily report.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by venice vet clinic View Post
    hi thanks to all the replies. i'm thinking does Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS come with something like ms office or words??cos i need those to do my daily report.
    Yes, Libre Office with a word processor 'Writer', a spreadsheet program 'Calc', a presentation creator 'Impress', a drawing program 'Draw' and a database program 'Base' are easy to install and fully compatible with Xubuntu either via the Software Center or via the terminal command

Code:
     sudo apt-get install libreoffice
    Last edited by sudodus; March 30th, 2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added how to install libreoffice

Beans

you will want to either install libreoffice from the software center, or openoffice depending on your need for compatibility or general preference.

Beans

can you give me one clear cut of solution base on my specification on my PC? my question is just which os is you think more/most suitable for me to install and my needs. just give me one.

Beans
    Hidden!

We give advice according to our experience and preferences, so different persons might give different advice. But if you have a reasonably fast internet connection, you can easily download a couple of 32-bit iso files, for example Lubuntu 12.10 and Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and try both (booted and running from the installation media, CD/DVD/USB drive). Do not install until you have found your favourite.

Edit: My advice is in post #8

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by venice vet clinic View Post
    can you give me one clear cut of solution base on my specification on my PC? my question is just which os is you think more/most suitable for me to install and my needs. just give me one.
    The idea behind a megathread is that all necessary advice is written in the first post. If you read that and keep in mind you have a Pentium 4 (but one of the weaker 4's) you will see that Lubuntu 12.10 is recommended.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast