I did a procedure called "Disk alignment" after reading about it it seemed like the thing to do. I have a Windows program called "MiniTool Partition Wizard" that would do it. Well, in the end the hard drive became unbootable for both Windows7 and Ubuntu. I do have a disk which is supposed to repair the MBR and make it boot again. And, it had worked previously when after a Ubuntu update both failed to boot. But, this time everything I tried didn't work. Even using the Windows repair/reinstall disks only wanted to reinstall. So I conveniently had another 750Gb dirive so I decided to just reinstall. I can access the old disk data files, everything is there so I have done the reinstall of Windows7 64 bit and transferred my data. Fortunately I have a network drive where I store a lot of data and program install files so I have everything back except Ubuntu. Oh, by the way, I did have a recent backup file made by Acronis but it failed, said after an hour and a half the file was corrupt. I even had an older backup but same story. Strange because during the making of the backup files I do verify, so I know they were good once. So I don't know about Acronis it works ok to clone a disk but backup files are unreliable.

Now to my question, I don't have much data in Ubuntu as I am just learning it and playing with it. I was wondering, since I do have the original Ubuntu folder in the old windows, can I reinstall Ubuntu with the dual boot and then copy the file from the old hard drive and have back the programs I installed and settings. I don't think it could ever be that easy but who knows, I certainly don't. It's no big deal if I can't do this and besides it would turn out to be a learning experience to restore the programs, files and settings.

Michael