Thread: Installing New RAM (memory)

Beans

Installing New RAM (memory)

Hi all,

I recently purchased some new RAM for my computer from Staples, at the same time as I purchased the new computer that I bought. At Staples they assured me that the RAM was compatible with my computer. However, after installing the RAM myself I have found that my computer is not recognizing that there is any RAM. I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I already had 4GB of RAM installed, and I installed another 4GB of RAM. I am using Ubuntu x64 so it will recognize more RAM, and I checked in my BIOS to make sure. Only 4GB is showing up. The RAM is pushed in "all the way", and I know that my RAM port is working.

My computer is a HP Pavilion g6-2235. The RAM that I purchased has the information below. I am somewhat of a beginner and do not know what all of the data below is for, but if you can make sense of it then let me know.

L/4G-DDR3-1066 SODIM
    4GB PC8500 DDR3 1066 MHZ

I read online doing BIOS updates maybe, but I don't know how to do a BIOS update (or how it would be useful). Let me know if any of you can help me!

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installing New RAM (memory)

I think you need to go back to Staples, a quick check about the RAM on line indicates that it should be compatible
    Laptop Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM (1 DIMM)

Beans

The motherboard will usually have a preferred order that RAM should be installed. For example if there are 4 banks available for RAM you might have to use banks 1 and 3 rather than 1 and 2, or some permutation of this. Your motherboard manual should have the details, hopefully it is something this simple .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I have only two memory banks. I tried switching the spots that the RAM is in, but it didn't help

Beans

Then I am not sure I'm afraid . Perhaps run uname -m just to triple check you have 64bit system but more than likely you will have to take RAM and computer back to the store.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pwert00 View Post
    I have only two memory banks. I tried switching the spots that the RAM is in, but it didn't help
    ... and each SODIMM is 4GB? What happens if you have only one SODIMM in your laptop? 4GB, for each of both SODIMMs?

EDIT:

Hypothese 1: only one 4GB-SODIMM is working at all
    Hypothese 2: your hardware can only handle 4GB max ...

/EDIT

Have you been been to find a specification about the max memory your laptop can handle?
    Last edited by sanderj; March 30th, 2013 at 07:57 AM.