Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backgrounds are gone after installing gnome 3.6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Backgrounds are gone after installing gnome 3.6

I've installed 13.04 and after installing gnome and then logging out and back into unity desktop, the backgrounds are gone. What happened? How do you get backgrounds back in unity and gnome?

Beans

Re: Backgrounds is are gone after installing gnome 3.6

Gnome 3.8 changed where the settings for wallpapers are stored. Unity dosen't look in that new place and so cannot work with the Gnome 3.8 repo ATM.

By the way, the Gnome ppa for Raring provides Gnome 3.8.
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; March 30th, 2013 at 02:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

so gnome 3.6 doesn't work with unity in 13.04?

I reinstalled 13.04 and haven't thought of using gnome at this point... what is the ppa to install gnome 3.8?

Beans

No, the Gnome PPA for Raring provides 3.8. Raring by default uses Gnome 3.6. The no wallpapers is a bug that is being worked out, but most likely will never be fixed anytime soon unless either Canonical or The Gnome Foundation give in and support each other's desktops, which they won't. The Gnome 3 PPA though supports a pure Gnome desktop, no Unity installed. This will be the PPA people on Ubuntu Gnome Remix will be using to upgrade UGR in the comming month or so.
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; March 30th, 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So it looks like you can't use unity and gnome on the same install without breaking the background wallpaper. Until they fix the bug, I'll forget about installing gnome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by geovino View Post
    So it looks like you can't use unity and gnome on the same install without breaking the background wallpaper. Until they fix the bug, I'll forget about installing gnome.
    I've done tons of work (for my real-life job) these days just on Gnome&(occasionally)Unity and did not even notice that background is broken, except finding way of making black BG stick (in thread about G3.8 PPA)... Is BG really so important that someone could abstain of using Ubuntu just because of that...? Not preaching,, just being curious on a break of doing stuff... Or breaking stuff, who knows, Monday will show...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

Can't really see why Ubuntu would need to keep the Desktop active, doesn't seem to fit in with the grand convergence, though maybe they have a use for it.
    If they don't, most people will get used to it, some won't..
    (atm Hud on panel items is non-functional without Desktop focus & maybe a few other minor issues

Beans

I added PPA because i wanted to test new Classic Mode and i noticed wallpaper does not work anymore in Unity or GNOME Classic Mode. It is interesting while logging out for one second wallpaper is shown and it might be related to the fact LightDM greeter still shows the wallpaper correctly.

Anyway if Classic Mode will get GNOME devs attention and will be treated as "standalone DE" not related and bend to GS paradigm in 2 to 4 dev cycles we could get something useful and fun to use again on the desktop and GS on tablet for example. About the wallpaper issue it would be nice if this would be fixed because icons on desktop + working wallpaper is something that will be used for foreseeable future and it Unity (next) on desktop would not want to provide this anymore this could still be the problem for GNOME Shell/Classic Mode.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I added PPA because i wanted to test new Classic Mode and i noticed wallpaper does not work anymore in Unity or GNOME Classic Mode. It is interesting while logging out for one second wallpaper is shown and it might be related to the fact LightDM greeter still shows the wallpaper correctly.
    You could take a look at these 3, not sure if gdm works better or not, no longer have that install
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12578411
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12578717
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12580016

If inclined look for/report a bug to ppa or upstream if a gnome issue

Beans

Gnome 3.8 changed where the settings for wallpapers are stored. Unity dosen't look in that new place and so cannot work with the Gnome 3.8 repo ATM.
    If this is true then i guess the problem will be solved not later than in Ubuntu using GNOME 3.8 and because of that i will not investigate this further i just wanted to test new GNOME Classic Mode because GS is not something i would like to use on desktop for now and Classic Mode is not there yet but i do see a lot of potential!

For Ubuntu 13.04 i look forward to use Unity + Compiz because it's fun pair to use it and it works nicely and probably Compiz will be replaced with something else in Unity Next and in GNOME 3 Classic Mode it doesn't work anymore with Compiz... That said i will enjoy and use default Ubuntu 13.04 for now because i think currently this is the most optimal solution for me and i like cool new features like for example better animation support in "aero snap" in Ubuntu 13.04 and will hope for the best outcome in the future.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 31st, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast