Thread: Can firefox render from stdin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can firefox render from stdin?

I have an idea for a script which would generate some html based on results of a grep command. I would like to be able to view these results directly in firefox, preferably without writing a file to disk first. Is there any way to pipe input to firefox like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by smcnally
    For me, it's all about the penguin...If the Linux mascot was a tiger or an elephant, I would have never even tried it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can firefox render from stdin?

Quote Originally Posted by Peepsalot View Post
    I have an idea for a script which would generate some html based on results of a grep command. I would like to be able to view these results directly in firefox, preferably without writing a file to disk first. Is there any way to pipe input to firefox like that?
    Sorry, I could not find any flag to pass to fx to manage this. However, this will work
    Code:
    tmpfilename="/tmp/tmp.html";#should be absolute path
    htmlstring="<html><strong>Your html here..</strong></html>"

echo $htmlstring >$tmpfilename;
    firefox "file://$tmpfilename";rm $tmpfilename #removes tempfile after use
    Last edited by dabear; July 11th, 2006 at 02:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok. I didn't try that because I thought there would be a problem with firefox not finishing loading before the file was deleted.

But it works so I guess that's not really a problem. Thanks.
    For me, it's all about the penguin...If the Linux mascot was a tiger or an elephant, I would have never even tried it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Peepsalot View Post
    Ok. I didn't try that because I thought there would be a problem with firefox not finishing loading before the file was deleted.
    Wouldn't you have to start Firefox in the background to do that (firefox "file://$tmpfilename" &;rm $tmpfilename)? As it is, it waits 'til Firefox quits before deleting anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by fluffington View Post
    Wouldn't you have to start Firefox in the background to do that (firefox "file://$tmpfilename" &;rm $tmpfilename)? As it is, it waits 'til Firefox quits before deleting anything.
    Yeah, but if firefox is already open, it will load new tab, and the sript will continue without waiting for Firefox to close.

It still works...i was just not too sure about it before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Check this out. I posted the same question on the mozillazine forums and got an answer pointing me to this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data:_URI_scheme
    It's pretty cool.