Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 usb transfer issue

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 usb transfer issue

I have been searching and still have not found a fix for this usb slow transfer issue. When transfering a file lets say 4 gb or more it starts off fast, slows down to like 21 mbs and then will soon freeze and lock everything up to where i have to restart. Does anyone know of a fix for this issue..

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 usb transfer issue

How big a drive?
    What file system?

If fat32 it does not support file size of 4 Gb or larger
    Last edited by arpanaut; March 30th, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

How is your USB formatted?
    The reason I ask is because there's a limit of file size admissible to copy according to the file system. With FAT32, the maximum file size is 4.3GB.

Beans

It is in NTFS. I have transfered alot of big files to it when I had windows. What is happening is around 2.2 to 3 gigs it sounds like my cpu fan kicks on really high and get really loud and it just freezes I can't move the mouse anything. This never happened on this laptop when it has windows on it. I was thinking something must be going on somewhere in 12.10 I don't know about hehe. I am very new to linux

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What there saying is true. NTFS, FAT16, FAT32 all have limitations on data transfer size. Mine would lock up as well when I tried to transfer to much at one time.
    Try either to split up the data transfer to chunks of less than 500MB, or reformat the USB drive to ext.2, 3, or 4.
    If you need to transfer data back to a Windows OS it might not see the drive if ext.2, 3, or 4.

I personally just broke up the data transfer to smaller chunks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

NTFS writing is heavily CPU-bound on Linux.

What this means is that write speed to an NTFS hard disk will depend on how powerful your CPU is, and while writing to NTFS your CPU will be running at full steam.

This is okay, it's not dangerous and won't damage your hardware.

But it sounds like your CPU is gradually overheating. You might have dust in your CPU cooler, or simply not be able to dissipate the heat from your CPU running at 100%; this is a bad CPU cooler/fan if it can't do that. When the CPU starts overheating, it purposely runs at a lower speed to try and generate less heat (this explains the copying slowing down), and eventually if the heat keeps rising the CPU will automatically shut off to prevent damage. This immediately halts the computer.

Best thing to do is check your CPU cooler or have an experienced computer hardware person take it off and check it or replace it with something better. Your second-best option is to format your USB disk to ext4 or fat32. The latter cannot store files greater than 4 GiB.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.