Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Scopes delayed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smart Scopes delayed

As a follow up to philinux 's thread here. We won't be seeing the new smart scopes and enhanced security in Raring. The Feature Freeze Exception has been pulled, due to quality issues. We will see them in 13.10, shortly after the start of the development cycle. This is an advanced notice, and more information will follow later.

Beans

Re: Smart Scopes delayed

enhanced security != enhanced privacy

But yes it makes sense not to push something that does not meet minimum quality requirements. Ubuntu 13.10 it is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    enhanced security != enhanced privacy

But yes it makes sense not to push something that does not meet minimum quality requirements. Ubuntu 13.10 it is.
    There will be the ability to make purchases via the dash, so we'll see enhanced privacy and security.

Beans

Yes i think it makes sense to have the ability to purchase something and these feature to work as easy as possible. I like how user of Ubuntu Phone will be able to purchase something and the amount will be added to mobile provider monthly bill for example it makes sense sometimes to do it like that.

But why i emphasized the difference betwen security and privacy was because security is something that we expect to get by default and if there is a security issue we expect it will be solved quickly... but privacy is another issue and currently this is the issue rubbing many the wrong way and enhanced security will not fix this dilemma.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I see this

We are planning to provide the feature in a PPA for Ubuntu Raring which will be always rebased on Unity shipped on Raring. It will land it as soon as we are confident enough on the feature quality in Ubuntu S.
    in here:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2013/03/29/...land-in-13-10/
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Funny. I'm, using the smart scope feature ppa and see absolutely no problems with it. It works like it should and does a good job. Is there any word on the testing PPA will stay open or move?

Currently, I really am questioning Canonical. They seem to be making a ton of asinine moves lately and really dissapoint and fall on their promises.

Edit: WELL <snip> I just updated and upgrade and Apt removed the unity smart scopes packages! So no, apparently the ppa will not stay open as it just removed itself and it's packages.
    Last edited by cariboo; March 29th, 2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: removed implied profanity

Beans

Edit: WELL <snip> I just updated and upgrade and Apt removed the unity smart scopes packages! So no, apparently the ppa will not stay open as it just removed itself and it's packages.

Patience:

We are planning to provide the feature in a PPA for Ubuntu Raring which will be always rebased on Unity shipped on Raring. It will land it as soon as we are confident enough on the feature quality in Ubuntu S.
    PPA will be available.
    Last edited by cariboo; March 29th, 2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Beans

I know, It's just I'm actually liking 13.04 and was planning to use it with the new smart scopes giving better privacy. I still believe in Canonical, they are a in a sense a new company to the mass computing world and are trying their hardest to clean themselves up and get a great product out. They are doing a good job, but are moving a little to fast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post

Not sure about that - the prevalidation ppa is still active on my other install, just did an update actually.
    (& it remains as half-baked as it's typically been
    Don't see much reason to use at this point, when they say it's something worth trying I may then put up an install to see.

As far as Ubuntu overestimating what they can accomplish within a given period, nothing new there.
    (14.04 will likely follow this tradition.
    Last edited by cariboo; March 30th, 2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It seems it is a problem with the Dash payments code affecting some of the privacy settings, so as soon as that is sorted out, the ppa should start working again.
    Last edited by cariboo; March 29th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast