Thread: Mount error with live-cds

Beans

Mount error with live-cds

Does anyone have a clue why do i get this error message when trying to boot some Linux distros live-cds? Well, usually it's usb stick, but the same error comes with dvd.
    Code:
    (Initramfs) Stdin: error 0
     Mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error

Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs
    I've tried to make the bootable stick with UNetbootin and USB-Creator, no difference. And with two or three different sticks too. Different burning apps also, when using dvd-disc. Nothing helps.

That happens at least with Puppy Linux, JoliOS, Comfusion Linux, LXLE, LinuxLite, Deepin etc. Quite many of them really, and some better known ones too, but i can't remember what they were. Some other distros work normally, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Crunchbang, Antix, Elementary etc... I find that very strange.

Beans

Re: Mount error with live-cds

Forgot the specs of my machine. It's HP Pavilion P6-2062 desktop with i3, 6Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 520 etc... Nothing fancy, just a basic PC.

Ask me, if something important info is missing or the problem itself is unclear.

Beans
    Hidden!

This is strange. Obviously you know how to make boot media, since you can make Ubuntu flavours boot.

I have succeeded with Puppy Linux, JoliOS and LXLE. Notice that LXLE states explicitly to use a cloning tool (not Unetbootin) to make a USB boot drive. I was brave and used dd (nick-named 'disk destroyer'). But I have very good experiences with Unetbootin for most linux distros.

Remember to check that the download was successful. There are often md5sum or shasum data at the web-site and you should use it before starting to burn a CD/DVD or make a USB boot drive.

I have found that k3b is more reliable than Brasero to burn a CD/DVD.

Edit: Check if those boot media (CD/DVD/USB drives) work in some other computers!
    Last edited by sudodus; March 29th, 2013 at 11:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    This is strange. Obviously you know how to make boot media, since you can make Ubuntu flavours boot.

I have succeeded with Puppy Linux, JoliOS and LXLE. Notice that LXLE states explicitly to use a cloning tool (not Unetbootin) to make a USB boot drive. I was brave and used dd (nick-named 'disk destroyer'). But I have very good experiences with Unetbootin for most linux distros.

Remember to check that the download was successful. There are often md5sum or shasum data at the web-site and you should use it before starting to burn a CD/DVD or make a USB boot drive.

I have found that k3b is more reliable than Brasero to burn a CD/DVD.

Edit: Check if those boot media (CD/DVD/USB drives) work in some other computers!
    I guess my USB drive works, because i can do everything else with it. Every live-cd/usb i've tried starts, i can see the grub menu, but after i've chosen "live-session" or "install" it ends up with that error message. Sometimes i have to use "nomodeset" to get even to that error... And yes, i have tried to burn DVDs with K3B also.

Something to do with UEFI maybe? Well, maybe not, 'cause many distros does install just fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Eesaurus View Post
    I guess my USB drive works, because i can do everything else with it. Every live-cd/usb i've tried starts, i can see the grub menu, but after i've chosen "live-session" or "install" it ends up with that error message. Sometimes i have to use "nomodeset" to get even to that error... And yes, i have tried to burn DVDs with K3B also.

Something to do with UEFI maybe? Well, maybe not, 'cause many distros does install just fine.
    You are probably right, that UEFI is creating the problem. Some linux distros can manage it (Ubuntu 12.10 and some others). There are several threads in the Ubuntu Forums about this issue. I think you can search for them and find some clues. Select Advanced Search at the top of this page, search for keywords 'uefi windows 8' or somthing similar, and User name 'oldfred'.

Good luck