Thread: I want to study DNS and DHCP. Do I need a router?

Beans

I want to study DNS and DHCP. Do I need a router?

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have three laptops, three 2-meter straight-through cables, and a D-Link 8-port 10/100 Desktop switch (DES-1008A).
    I want to study DNS and DHCP in Ubuntu by creating a small INTERNAL network (1 server and 2 clients).
    I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 desktop i386 32bit in all three laptops and have downloaded and updated all necessary files for my study.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to buy a router? If so, what is the exact model of the cheapest router that will suffice for my needs?

2. If I don't need a physical router, how will I configure my default gateway?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: I want to study DNS and DHCP. Do I need a router?

If the server allows you to install a second network card, you can configure it to be a NAT router.

Alternatively you can just buy a basic router for $25-30 from some place like NewEgg. Read the reviews.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I want to study DNS and DHCP. Do I need a router?

I have a separate Ubuntu box set up as DHCP/DNS server. I disabled the DNS/DHCP server in my router.
    ( I also bought a used DLink WRT-54GL with Tomato ... although I haven't put it online, yet.)

My first router was a floppy-based Freesco dial-up machine.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net