Thread: Purple Screen on Bootup-Stuck

Beans

Question Purple Screen on Bootup-Stuck

I'm stuck on a purple screen on boot at the moment. I've tried booting into recovery mode using shift to get into GNU GRUB v2.00 , going into advanced options for Ubuntu and hitting Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (recovery mode), but this brings up a Busybox v1.19.3 ash built in shell, which I haven't a clue what to do with. It also gives a ton of error messages going into recovery mode, like:
    5.607159 lost page write due to I/O error on loop0
    5.607286 loop: write error at byte offset 15627979776 length 1024
    mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory.
    There are lots more with decimal numbers at the beginning, and I'm a newb so I only understand that it can't access something to write something... Or something...
    I installed using the windows install tool onto my secondary partition, allocating 20gb/250 ish gb of space last night, was on it for a while setting up python, apache and applying a gedit theme and some addons. Then I shut down and went to bed. I have tried to boot into the Ubuntu with generic Linux mode that doesn't have recovery mode, but that also gets stuck at Loading Initial Ramdisk.
    there seems to be a lot of errors here and I don't understand why. Laptop is a 64-bit Celeron T3500 with built in graphics. Model is Samsung S3510.
    Im confused.
    Jim

EDIT: Laptop boots into win7 fine, just tested. I believe I can access the partition from windows as well.
    Last edited by jimb0b360; March 29th, 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans

Re: Purple Screen on Bootup-Stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    Hi, please try what this link suggests, please read carefully.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    Thanks
    I am unsure how this applies to my problem. I will repeat: I can't boot into my Ubuntu at all, it worked the first time but now it won't. I can boot into windows, but trying Ubuntu it freezes at a purple screen. Recovery mode also won't work. Please read O/P carefully. I attempted nomodeset, but it is stuck, once again, on a purple screen. The instructions for ACPI could be much clearer, as it doesn't list where the command is to be entered - Grub? Busybox? Terminal (which I can't access as my Linux wont work!)?

EDIT: Turns out I'm slightly dumb and you insert the ACPI into the same edit box as nomodeset after it, but it still doesn't work. Only slightly stupid.
    Last edited by jimb0b360; March 29th, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Those parameters will most likely allow you to boot ubuntu.

Beans

None of them do. I've now tried every one of them, on their own, with another, all together, every combination possible. No luck. I've just re-installed Ubuntu and I'm hoping that when I reboot the laptop I can get in.