Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: files list file for package 'nautilus-sen

Hybrid View

Beans

dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: files list file for package 'nautilus-sen

I am getting the error message: dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    files list file for package 'nautilus-sendto-empathy' is missing final newline
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2), when I try to upgrade, or download software. Since I upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, I have continually received system error messages on-screen when I log in, though this is after I go on Firefox, and it may be a Firefox error. But I am unable to update any software ever since the upgrade. I have fiddled about a bit, and unticked some items in the software system settings. Now the error message I get is the one you see above.
    Would it be better if I reinstalled my good old 12.04? I am not very good with technology and need to be 'led'.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

C.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: files list file for package 'nautilus

The error message indicates that file /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list is corrupt (missing final newline). This is how the file should look like. Besides the files listed on the linked page, it also should contains folders they are in and all directories above those in the path, i.e. /usr/share/doc, /usr/share, /usr, /usr/lib, /usr/lib/nautilus-sendto, etc. Compare this with what in the file on your system.
    Last edited by schragge; March 29th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Beans

Re: dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: files list file for package 'nautilus

Thanks. But just HOW do I do this please?

Beans
    Hidden!

Open a terminal window (press Ctrl+Alt+t, or see community/UsingTheTerminal for detailed instructions), and run the commands below, then post their output here:
    Code:
    dpkg -l nautilus-sendto-empathy
    cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list
    Last edited by schragge; March 29th, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Beans

dpkg -l nautilus-sendto-empathy
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    ii nautilus-sendt 3.6.0.3-0ubu i386 GNOME multi-protocol chat and cal
    ******************************:~$ cat /var/log/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list
    cat: /var/log/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list: No such file or directory
    ******************************dpkg -l nautilus-sendto-empathy
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    ii nautilus-sendt 3.6.0.3-0ubu i386 GNOME multi-protocol chat and cal
    ******************************~$ cat /var/log/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by celfletch View Post
    Code:
    ~$ cat /var/log/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list
    cat: /var/log/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list: No such file or directory
    Oops. The package is listed as installed, but an important configuration file is missing. Please open a terminal, run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -C
    and post the output here.

When posting, please wrap the output of terminal commands in [code][/code] tags to make it more readable. The # button above the text input area in Adv Reply allows you to insert them.
    Last edited by schragge; March 29th, 2013 at 09:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    Oops. The package is listed as installed, but an important configuration file is missing. Please open a terminal, run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -C
    and post the output here.

When posting, please wrap the output of terminal commands in [code][/code] tags to make it more readable. The # button above the text input area in Adv Reply allows you to insert them.
    [The following packages are missing the md5sums control file in the
    database, they need to be reinstalled:
    adobeair Adobe AIR 2
    medibuntu-keyring GnuPG key of the Medibuntu repository]

[/HTML]

Beans

Code:
    The following packages are missing the md5sums control file in the
    database, they need to be reinstalled:
     adobeair             Adobe AIR 2
     medibuntu-keyring    GnuPG key of the Medibuntu repository

Beans

Just tried reinstalling AdobeAir with these results:

Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      libhal1
    The following NEW packages will be installed
      libhal1
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      adobeair
    1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 338 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/16.2 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 239 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Selecting previously unselected package libhal1.
    dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
     files list file for package 'nautilus-sendto-empathy' is missing final newline
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Beans
    Hidden!

Oops, sorry. I made a typo, that's why the file couldn't be found. The right command is:
    Code:
    cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/nautilus-sendto-empathy.list
    . Please post the output of it.

Also editing my post above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast