Thread: A few questions about Ubuntu

A few questions about Ubuntu

I bought 7 ultimate last year, and now my key is blocked my windows after using it on a couple other systems.

I would like to know if Ubuntu can handle what I currently do and use.

I run

p8p67 pro motherboard
    i7 2700k
    evga gtx 570 HD
    on a SSD with 2TB External

Would my drivers be compatible with Ubuntu?

I run dual screens would that be an issue?

I also play several games like

World of Warcraft
    Starcraft 2
    Diablo 3
    Magic The Gathering online
    League of Legends
    and a few others.

Would I be able to play these as well?

any information you can give me to help me figure this out would be appreciative.

Near one of my computers
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A few questions about Ubuntu

Why don't you try running a live cd? With Ubuntu, you can test it out before you actually install it by running the operating system from a cd. Here is the download for 12.04 LTS. It is supported for 5 years from about a year ago, so still about 4. The regular releases of Ubuntu (non LTS (Long Term Support)) are supported for less time. You can go to if you want a different version. Ubuntu 12.10 is also available and 13.04 should be available in the near future.

Heres a tutorial for running a live CD.

Here is a tutorial for finding if your games work under Ubuntu

Best of luck, Ubuntu is a very robust Linux distrobution. I hope you find that you like Ubuntu and Linux!

Re: A few questions about Ubuntu

You should be fine with the hardware, but you may need to go to the "additional drivers" area in the settings (under "software & updates") to get the graphics card to work.

To get those games working you will need to use Wine, which is a program that allows you to use many Windows applications. For example, Starcraft II currently has a platinum rating on Wine's wiki, so it will apparently run very well:

Steam is now available on Linux and it has a growing selection of quality games. You can also install Chrome and run most of the games available on their webstore.