Thread: No sound on my toshiba satellite c855d-s5105

Beans

No sound on my toshiba satellite c855d-s5105

Hello everyone, I recently got a toshiba satellite c855d-s5105, and while after turning off UEFI and secureboot worked and Lubuntu installed I've found that there is no sound. I believe the built in sound card is a realtek ALC2269VB. Are there any fixes that could get the sound to work? Sorry, and thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: No sound on my toshiba satellite c855d-s5105

There's a common problem on Lubuntu where the volume keys on your keyboard will not un-mute the sound. You can make sure by clicking on your volume indicator and seeing that the mute box is unchecked. Otherwise, you can make sure your sound card is recognized under the system profile, and if it is perhaps go into Synaptics and do a search for any realtek drivers that might work once installed.

Beans

Hm... when I open up my system profile I get a blank message:

http://i.imgur.com/BmKAZFy.png

When I hit x, a another blank box pops up, and when I hit it another one pops up, and after about 3 times the system profile shows up, and when I click on certain parts I get more blank messages. But all in all it looks like it didn't recognize my soundcard:

http://i.imgur.com/jfFIjmz.png

Or... maybe it did?

http://i.imgur.com/1li1upK.png

If that's the case, what is this realtek thing GNOME ALSA mixer finds (Lubuntu doesn't show any volume controls on the side and I couldn't remember the program name)

http://i.imgur.com/G4SggjN.png

The ati thing is blank when I click it also. If that's the case, where is that other audio driver my system recognized?

Beans

What does it show in "additional drivers" in the "software & updates" settings? It may list a bunch of alternate drivers that you can try. Also, I noticed you have no volume control on the taskbar. Is that something you deleted, or did it never show up there? I don't know how you ended up with the Gnome Alsa Mixer because that is not part of the default software, and I would probably remove it. The default Lubuntu volume software is called "PulseAudio Volume Control" so I would make sure that's installed in the software center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Reina View Post
    Hm... when I open up my system profile I get a blank message:

http://i.imgur.com/BmKAZFy.png
    Hi,

This is a known bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...o/+bug/1029212

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

It looks to me you do have the driver for your Audio Card.

From LXTerminal:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C multimedia
    Post the result please to double check your driver. Please, wrap up the result with CODE Tags.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon85 View Post
    What does it show in "additional drivers" in the "software & updates" settings? It may list a bunch of alternate drivers that you can try. Also, I noticed you have no volume control on the taskbar. Is that something you deleted, or did it never show up there? I don't know how you ended up with the Gnome Alsa Mixer because that is not part of the default software, and I would probably remove it. The default Lubuntu volume software is called "PulseAudio Volume Control" so I would make sure that's installed in the software center.
    Oddly enough installing Pulse has fixed my problem. I say this because on my other Lubuntu setup, there is no pulseaudio either and it used something called alsa-mixer to control the volume. Now that I got a closer look at my soundcard info (which are both AMD things), the first time I booted up Lubuntu on this machine, it gave me an AMD error which I thought might be related to the processor, and ever since I've never seen the error when I boot up my computer. Perhaps that had something to do with my problem, as the volume control was missing from the very start. I couldn't run alsa-mixer from terminal (wrong command maybe?) so I installed GNOME Alsa Mixer to see if I couldn't control the volume from there.

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    It looks to me you do have the driver for your Audio Card.

From LXTerminal:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C multimedia
    Post the result please to double check your driver. Please, wrap up the result with CODE Tags.
    Alright for future reference in case anyone else has this problem (If this even helps at all):
    Code:
      *-multimedia:0          
           description: Audio device
           product: Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
           physical id: 1.1
           bus info: pci@0000:00:01.1
           version: 00
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
           configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0