Thread: How to restore .deb file association with dpkg --install

Beans

Question How to restore .deb file association with dpkg --install

I had installed Ark and Software Center. After that I tried 2 install some '.deb' package by clicking on it. It turned out that instead of an automatic installer just had two options to choose, namely Soft Center or Ark (used 'dolphin' browser). Tried to solve by uninstalling the both, but after it, happened that there is no any association. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO RESTORE THE DEFAULT ASSOCIATION OF '.deb' FILES? ( 'RAW' situation in that matter as just after have installed the system ) P.S. I am not interested to have fun with possessing and discovering some sys , would like to have a stable main system 4 others like windows (virtual machine to do heavy calculations, etc. ). Expect that the chosen SYS must be stable should not to surprise me with such complications or give by itself some simple solutions in such a matter. In fact am using kali 1.0 (debian wheezy), but had heard that it is almost similar to ubuntu that is build on debian in generall. Also use a kubuntu ditribution to test. Looking forward to having a smart advise, also 4 future potential similar problems.

Beans

Re: How to restore .deb file association with dpkg --install

Too rambling to understand properly.
    Is it gdebi you want?

Beans

Post Re: How to restore .deb file association with dpkg --install

I do not know if it is 'gdebi', maybe I made mistake writting dpkg.
    Whatever it be just would like to have situation that if I click a file with '.deb' extension it runs and automatically be installed.
    Just like to restore the state of "association" of the '.deb' as was at the beginning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The default application handler for .deb files with Kali is gpk-install-local-file.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Ok, great, understood, but how to make it happen to associate gpk-install-local-file with .deb.
    In 'System settings' there is a tool, 'file associations' but gives just the only opportunity to choose between components that are present within the main menu.
    Last edited by rozbojnik rumcajs; March 29th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans

Here on ubuntu I can associate .debs with gpk-install-local-file using the ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list file.

eg I searched in the file for deb and changed this section...
    Code:
    [Default Applications]
    application/x-deb=gpk-install-local-file.desktop
    audio/x-vorbis+ogg=rhythmbox.desktop
    audio/3gpp=totem.desktop
    audio/ac3=smplayer.desktop
    audio/AMR=totem.desktop
    audio/AMR-WB=totem.desktop

Beans

Ok I found solution by myself 'via' application of 'Synaptic Package Manager'; It turned out that some bug application;
    maybe a of the previously mentioned had uninstalled gdebi.

I applied SPM, thanks Cheesemill advise found 'dgedi-kde' package, and installed it.
    Then I updated priority in the order list of associated applications 4 gdebi was third on the list.
    I set gdebi as the first to be 'called'.
    And at last it is restored.
    My comment:
    I am a windows user but have never ever faced a situation, except of forcefully removal of half of a system, that '.msi' association is replaced for example by a 'call' rar app instead.
    Even if such a potential situation occurrs, in windows it is easy to undo it, or somehow cope with it without deep studies.
    Thus looks like it is a real weakness of linux, if U install or make a thing everything is upside down.

P.S.
    By the way oldos2er, I am in the right place 4 ubuntu is modified debian as well as kali, all apps and commands I took from that forum works great in kali. Have also ubuntu installed.
    ( I have 7 HDDs, each with own OS: windows vista, windows 7, windows xp, ubuntu, kubuntu, kali and fedora )
    In my opinion if the base stands the same debian 4 all distributions such as ubuntu, kali, kubuntu, etc., it means that indeed it's the right place 2 get a smart advise.
    Of course there are some 'little' differences beetween them but in general the same solutions work great in all.
    4 example the found there solution by using synaptic is extracted from ubuntu forum and its advertisement in youtube, and it works in kali ( wheezy ).

Beans

stinkeye, thanks am jotting it down 4 future.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by rozbojnik rumcajs View Post
    By the way oldos2er, I am in the right place 4 ubuntu is modified debian as well as kali, all apps and commands I took from that forum works great in kali. Have also ubuntu installed.
    Sorry, but ubuntuforums.org only supports the *buntus, not derivatives of Ubuntu nor distros from which it's derived. Debian has its own support forums here.