Thread: Need help with overheating and shutting down.

Beans

Need help with overheating and shutting down.

Hello,

I've just started using a Linux/Unix-like OS. I'm using Backbox which is Ubuntu based and I had a question,

Whenever my laptop overheats, it shuts down and turns off automatically without any previous warnings/notifications or whatsoever. I'd like someone to help me with this, I want to know how I can change what happens like instead of turning off completely, just hibernate. Because I've lost a whole lot of unsaved work because of this. I have Windows along with Backbox but Windows just hibernates in the case of overheating while Backbox just turns off.

Please help me with this,

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Need help with overheating and shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by LutherWest View Post
    Hello,

I've just started using a Linux/Unix-like OS. I'm using Backbox which is Ubuntu based and I had a question,

Whenever my laptop overheats, it shuts down and turns off automatically without any previous warnings/notifications or whatsoever. I'd like someone to help me with this, I want to know how I can change what happens like instead of turning off completely, just hibernate. Because I've lost a whole lot of unsaved work because of this. I have Windows along with Backbox but Windows just hibernates in the case of overheating while Backbox just turns off.

Please help me with this,

Thanks.
    1. If your computer is overheating then there is an issue other than power saving settings.

2. Backbox is a pen-testing suite (built for a specific requirement) and not intended for everyday use and presupposes linux knowledge.

Try the backbox forums for people who may have similar issues http://forum.backbox.org/
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Not that familiar with Backbox but, somewhere in the settings menu should be an option to change what happens etc.

Incidentaly have you tried cleaning the air vents underneath and at rear of Laptop. Remove power connector,switch off and give the vents a good blast of air.
    If your up to it remove the underside inspection plate/cover and make sure your not clogged solid inside.

eddie
    Last edited by eddier; March 29th, 2013 at 02:26 AM. Reason: syntax

Beans

Well, the computer overheats because I do unintentionally block the fans.

2) I do know that Backbox is a pen-testing suite, I'm currently a college student chasing a career in Ethical Hacking so, yeah.

I'll check the Backbox forums thanks for your help, truly appreciated. But since Backbox is Ubuntu based, there shouldn't be much differences so any help is still appreciated.

In case I find a solution, I'll make sure to mark the thread as solved with the solution in it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eddier View Post
    Not that familiar with Backbox but, somewhere in the settings menu should be an option to change what happens etc.

Incidentaly have you tried cleaning the air vents underneath and at rear of Laptop. Remove power connector,switch off and give the vents a good blast of air.
    If your up to it remove the underside inspection plate/cover and make sure your not clogged solid inside.

eddie

I've looked for it but with no avail, unfortunately. Can such a thing be done through the Terminal?

And good advice you got here, I haven't cleaned the vents for like 2 years now which is basically since I got it. I'm sure that can help, thank you!