Thread: Colored file name labels' attribute key name (like Mac OSX Finder color labels)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Colored file name labels' attribute key name (like Mac OSX Finder color labels)

Does anyone know if there is a standard setting (such as in gio/gvfs attributes) to set/store color label attributes for individual objects/files/directories/links/etc similar to how it is done on Mac OSX Finder?

I'm writing an app that currently uses gio to set a color attribute on individual files but I'm not sure what the key name for that attribute should be. I'm using "metadata::color-name" for now and the value would be "red" or "blue" for example.

I scowered the net and found a few references to Marlin (alt for Nautilus file manager) to set color labels but it does not specify what attribute key name it uses.

Does anyone know of a standard key name?

Edit: here are some other ideas I was thinking of for key names:

"metadata::label-color-name"
    "metadata::text-color-name"

I wanted to add the "-name" at the end so it's know that it's a color spec name like "red" or "blue" instead of a hexidecimal value like "#ff0000"
    Last edited by OrangeVixen; March 29th, 2013 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Additional possible key names proposed