Thread: Six hours troubleshooting email on Droid X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Six hours troubleshooting email on Droid X

One of my colleagues has a Droid X, possibly X2. For the past three days it was giving this error of "com.motorola.service.main has stopped unexpectedly" when he'd try to access his Exchange email. The forum posts I saw off Google didn't help, normal trouble shooting steps for me didn't work, Verizon and Motorola couldn't help, even restoring the phone didn't help. Alas, I just tried unchecking mail, contacts and calendars and re checking them and son of a gun, it worked.

I have very little experience with Android and things like this make me happy about that. Just venting really but maybe someone will find this post in the future and not have to go through what I did. Has anyone else had similar experiences? I've been using an iPhone for quite sometime and while it's far from perfect, it meets my needs.

Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by Mike_N; March 28th, 2013 at 11:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Six hours troubleshooting email on Droid X

Please, please, please don't think that Android is anything like what you've experienced.

Motorola phones are the worst of the bunch for Android. My father bought a Motorola Defy and had endless problems with the software, hardware, bad battery life and terrible performance. He was about to go out and buy a new iPhone as he liked his old iPhone 3G. Reflashing the Defy with Cyanogenmod (which is closer to regular Android) fixed all his problems and he actually became an Android fan, eventually buying a Nexus 7 tablet.

The problem with Motorola's phones is not that Android is bad, but rather that Motorola's additions to Android are bad.

I've also had problems with iOS devices; an APN that works on a Nexus 7 doesn't work on an iPad, you have to reboot the iPad after changing APN settings (is it still 1998?!), wifi signal strength is much weaker than other phones and tablets, and sometimes apps will just crash on startup until you install another app (known problem). Also, you need to get your carrier's permission to tether your iOS device, which sometimes means having to pay a monthly fee.

I'm not saying iOS is bad, but I've had a lot more trouble with iOS than I have with any non-Motorola Android device.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the response,

I do think that Android has a lot to offer but I would personally never consider anything other than the Nexus line. If Ubuntu does come out with a tablet, that might be better but I'm not ruling out the possibility of an Android device in my future.

--Mike

Beans
    Distro

I'm thinking a Samsung or a Nexus would be good. However, the best Samsung phones are pretty expensive and the Nexus 4 is made by LG - I know LG has the highest defective return rates and recall rates of any major consumer electronics manufacturer, so I'm not champing at the bit to buy a Nexus 4.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.