View Poll Results: What should we do for the next dev cycle?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Close and archive this sub-froum

32 41.03%
  • Rename to U+1 and continue on

46 58.97%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Name change

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Name change

As this development cycle winds down, we have decided to let you the members/users decide whether we should close and archive this sub-forum, or continue on here, and just change the name to U+1.

I've created a poll, but this is the first time we've enabled a poll while running vb4, so if there are any problems, please bear with us until we have anything we run into solved.
    Last edited by cariboo; April 24th, 2013 at 02:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Name change

Wouldn't the sub forum eventually get incredibly big and have a lot of stuff irrelevant to the current U+1. Or maybe that doesn't matter? I guess you could just archive posts older than say one year.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We've asked Canonical IS to install some mods that will allow us to auto-close and archive threads after a yet to be determined period of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    Wouldn't the sub forum eventually get incredibly big and have a lot of stuff irrelevant to the current U+1. Or maybe that doesn't matter? I guess you could just archive posts older than say one year.
    The good thing about renaming the sub forum to U+1 is that there will be concurrent arguments. That being said means more people can be helped with current problems in the current release (raring) that may also relate to the new dev release. U+1 helps can then be centralized and not obsfucated . It may lead to more direct bug resolution.

If say a topic matter wanes or has no response for 30 days then second it to an archived sub-forum where it can possibly be reopened by OP request only. This will keep the new U+1 forum lean and clean. Of course there will be duplicity of arguments with a concurrent framework but here again bugs may be more agressively honed and other members/users who have a hot ticket item on deck will not feel so abruptly shut out of the game.

On a personal side note - I had operated/moderated two BBSes during early 1991 (this being pre-internet - pre Windows, Pre Linux) using a software called WWIV. Being the way the network infrastructure of Bell at the time was not really fully up to date there were not too many members on line but enough locals to keep me really busy. But even with my two 2400 BAUD modems running on two lines keeping users at their best behaviour was always a task. I spent a lot of time parsing through messages and complaints. Some of this work was rather disconcerting and at times became arduous - meaning no fun. There may be a small downside to all of this in that it just may be a natural tendency to have our topics 'bumped' so that they could get more limelight. This may mean , perhaps, more unneccesary superfluosity in the subject matter, however , The way the forums have been moderated and administrated I have found 99% of the time that most contributors here go above and beyond in making an effort to behave par excellence. And I can't say enough about our moderators and admins who are probably the most fair-minded I have ever engaged over the internet.

Also .. I am not saying there is any thing wrong with superfluosity because even in that there may be a valid point to be made , a diamond in the rough so to speak.

Best Regards,

Ventrical
    Last edited by ventrical; April 24th, 2013 at 06:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    Wouldn't the sub forum eventually get incredibly big and have a lot of stuff irrelevant to the current U+1.
    Do you mean like every other sub forum here. Like absolute beginner or any other one which has some 8000 pages dating back several years?Chock full of completely useless information for todays Ubuntu.

I vote to keep it rolling, but I'd say drop the per release moniker and go with Ubuntu+1(Development Cycle).
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Personally I think it's best to archive the board each time and start afresh.

Not only less confusing, but should you want to go back and check issues that were mentioned over a particular development cycle, you would no what archived board to check on. If they were all on the same board, with older threads locked it would be much harder find and identify the issue and release you are looking for.

Any discussions that you really do want to continue from one release to the next can have their threads moved over.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think its useful information to keep at least for a while say until 13.10 (Something Something) comes out.

When it does remove the Ubuntu +1 Raring but not until as people have found and fixed issues in the development cycle of Raring. It would be a shame to lose this information if any of these issues are still in the final release.

btw Anyone know what Something Something is actually going to be called?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JMB74 View Post
    Personally I think it's best to archive the board each time and start afresh.

Not only less confusing, but should you want to go back and check issues that were mentioned over a particular development cycle, you would no what archived board to check on. If they were all on the same board, with older threads locked it would be much harder find and identify the issue and release you are looking for.

Any discussions that you really do want to continue from one release to the next can have their threads moved over.
    I think the issue revolves around what a dev cycle is going to be.

At the moment there's a lot of talk - we're just trying to get ahead of the curve on this - if the traditional cycle changes then we need to mirror it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    I think its useful information to keep at least for a while say until 13.10 (Something Something) comes out.

When it does remove the Ubuntu +1 Raring but not until as people have found and fixed issues in the development cycle of Raring. It would be a shame to lose this information if any of these issues are still in the final release.

btw Anyone know what Something Something is actually going to be called?
    Information is not lost - it just get's moved.

And Silly Sausage I heard ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    The good thing about renaming the sub forum to U+1 is that there will be concurrent arguments. That being said means more people can be helped with current problems in the current release (raring) that may also relate to the new dev release. U+1 helps can then be centralized and not obsfucated . It may lead to more direct bug resolution.

If say a topic matter wanes or has no response for 30 days then second it to an archived sub-forum where it can possibly be reopened by OP request only. This will keep the new U+1 forum lean and clean. Of course there will be duplicity of arguments with a concurrent framework but here again bugs may be more agressively honed and other members/users who have a hot ticket item on deck will not feel so abruptly shut out of the game.
    A solid +1 on Ventrical's post.

Beans

I'm definitely in favor of renaming and continuing on.

The one major problem I see with that is folks will ask questions not related to U+1 so it may increase the workload for the forum mods, but we'd have to wait and see how that pans out. The mods are pretty darn good at sorting through these things

The biggest positive is that those of us who continually test the latest dev releases can continue as soon as each new toolchain drops

Something I've been thinking about just lately is that the number of dedicated QA testers has dropped dramatically. Just look at the latest results:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/269/builds

Particularly upgrade testing:

upgrade_testing.png

Way too many 0's there for less than 24 hours to go

But, regardless of which way we go, I think we need a sticky, or possibly something "always on top", at U+1 trying to recruit new QA testers

I'm getting worn out, just due to age and all the crap related to that, so we need a new herd of iso/upgrade testers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast