Thread: What's my tablet choice now if I want Ubuntu in the future

Beans

Question What's my tablet choice now if I want Ubuntu in the future

I love the concept of the integrated experience, and I think we will eventually stumble our way towards that even if the Canonical project fails. So, here's my problem. I would love to get on board and try the new Ubuntu OS, BUT am looking for (ideally) a 10" tablet now for the family and not in a year's time. The only one I know is likely to be compatible is the Google nexus 10, but thats stretching my budget a bit to far (besides still not officially available in Ireland), so will I need to downsize to a nexus 7 or maybe forget about Ubuntu OS?

Is there a slightly cheaper 10" with a good chance of having a supported image in the future (e.g. Samsung Galaxy tab2 10.1)?
    If I want to buy now and keep hoping, what other current tabs have the best odds?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TabletList gives a good starting point. Any other pointers or recommendations out there...

Beans

Re: What's my tablet choice now if I want Ubuntu in the future

Quote Originally Posted by mayoman View Post
    I love the concept of the integrated experience, and I think we will eventually stumble our way towards that even if the Canonical project fails. So, here's my problem. I would love to get on board and try the new Ubuntu OS, BUT am looking for (ideally) a 10" tablet now for the family and not in a year's time. The only one I know is likely to be compatible is the Google nexus 10, but thats stretching my budget a bit to far (besides still not officially available in Ireland), so will I need to downsize to a nexus 7 or maybe forget about Ubuntu OS?

Is there a slightly cheaper 10" with a good chance of having a supported image in the future (e.g. Samsung Galaxy tab2 10.1)?
    If I want to buy now and keep hoping, what other current tabs have the best odds?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TabletList gives a good starting point. Any other pointers or recommendations out there...
    As noted in this thread, I've ported Ubuntu Touch to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, based upon the work of others. There are those who've already gotten it working on the Tab 2 10.1. For a full list of devices that have ports in the works, you can look here.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    For a full list of devices that have ports in the works, you can look here.
    Doh! How did I not check the wiki.... Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 looks a runner then. Unless someone has a better recommendation for a similar (or lower) cost?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mayoman View Post
    Doh! How did I not check the wiki.... Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 looks a runner then. Unless someone has a better recommendation for a similar (or lower) cost?
    in reality any device that has a port of cm 10.1 should have ubuntu touch. i would personally recommend going towards Asus tablets as they have got more aosp support. samsung tablets have ubuntu os but they will not work as well as they could. they use the touchwiz os and that tends to delay updates which causes the os using an un optimized source.

Beans

Thanks for your help, Ended up going for the nexus after all..
    Getting it in a few weeks via an obliging relative with a UK address.