Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to move the Launcher

Beans

Re: How to move the Launcher

Can you supply me with a graphical solution please? I'm not familiar with operating a command line.

Beans

Funny enough, the command line is actually easier and more accurate for installing desktops than say Ubuntu Software Center.
    Also, my comrade was mistaken. The command you are supposed to run to give you a complete XFCE4 desktop is "sudo apt-get install xfce4*" The star is important as it will pull all XFCE4 dependencies.

Beans

I've found "Meta-package for the Xfce Lightweight Desktop Environment" in the Software Center. Is that what I should be installing?

Beans

Yes, but not wise as it really dosen't install the whole desktop, just the absolute bare bones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

xfce4 package pulls its dependencies either way so the * is not necessary, that's what metapackage is (empty package that marks other as dependencies and pulls them when installed). Personally i don't really think installing *everything* is mandatory if all you want is a test drive. It will clutter menus hard because xfce will install its flavor of most basic utilities (terminal, text editor, ...). Adding packages later is not a problem.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have used the Xfce session on the past 3 releases and I prefer it to the Xubuntu desktop because it does not change the gdm and add all the Xubuntu applications . I don't need abiword because Libre Office is already installed there are other comparable programs installed on my base Ubuntu installation. If you choose to install the Xfce session you will need to add the xfce4-goodies package to get the artwork and panel indicators. The composting and window manager tweaks are included with the session.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 30th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I have used the Xfce session on the past 3 releases and I prefer it to the Xubuntu desktop because it does not change the gdm and add all the Xubuntu applications.
    What, may I ask, is the gdm?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

login screen thingie. Desktop environments often have their own but can also plug into existing one or heavily modify its settings. Apparently xubuntu-desktop would change the default.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

[SOLVED] How to move the Launcher

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123