Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to move the Launcher

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to move the Launcher

I think you should use Gnome Classic It's very easy to change panel location on screen or add/remove icons to/from it. You also set the panel auto-hide or hide them whenever you want with a hide button on the panels. These're my panels. The top-panel, where I pin some app that I usually use, is auto-hide and not expand (optional). The bottom panel consists of menu App, and Multi Indicators. I really like them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, you can move it to the bottom, but only using an experimental Compiz plugin (CCSM / CompizConfig-Settings-Manager):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/33605...unity-launcher

EDIT: I don't know about 12.04 and higher however. Maybe that's definitely unsupported.

Beans

There is no wheel or cog next to the word "password" on the login screen. I'm using version 12.10 of Ubuntu, 64 bit.

Regarding the Unity Launcher, I don't have a widescreen monitor. Couldn't the operating system let the user decide what is best, whether the user is a beginner (me) or an experienced user? I wanted to get away from Microsoft because I didn't want Mr. Gates (I'm sure he's a nice person) in charge of my operating system, etal. You say that lots of people would put the Launcher on the bottom if they could. Why not let them. It's their computer. Regarding OSX, freedom in the form of Linux will beat confinement any day, all else being equal. I personally am grateful for the individuals who give their time to build a better OS. I just want to be free.

"I hope my advice helps. Please let me know whether it did!"

I appreciate your help. May I ask if there a different way to access the alternative desktop I downloaded?

Beans

Looks like it was possible at least for older versions of Ubuntu:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/how-t...bottom-of.html

Not sure if this is still possible or indeed advisable, I have added a screenshot to demonstrate how this can so easily be accomplished with Fluxbox, a much less ornate effort than Unity .

Edit: Looks like this has already been mentioned, d'oh!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; March 30th, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aqualion View Post
    There is no wheel or cog next to the word "password" on the login screen. I'm using version 12.10 of Ubuntu, 64 bit.

Regarding the Unity Launcher, I don't have a widescreen monitor. Couldn't the operating system let the user decide what is best, whether the user is a beginner (me) or an experienced user? I wanted to get away from Microsoft because I didn't want Mr. Gates (I'm sure he's a nice person) in charge of my operating system, etal. You say that lots of people would put the Launcher on the bottom if they could. Why not let them. It's their computer. Regarding OSX, freedom in the form of Linux will beat confinement any day, all else being equal. I personally am grateful for the individuals who give their time to build a better OS. I just want to be free.

"I hope my advice helps. Please let me know whether it did!"

I appreciate your help. May I ask if there a different way to access the alternative desktop I downloaded?
    It seems my memory was acting up a bit - it's no longer a cog, it's now an Ubuntu logo. And it's next to your username, not your password. Sorry about that. See the screenshot: http://c-nergy.be/blog/wp-content/ga...ntu12-10_9.png. The cursor arrow in the picture is hovering over the button you need to click.

Making things ultra-customisable takes extra development effort and ongoing development maintenance (fixing bugs, making sure any changes don't regress all features). If you want a desktop you can customise to the extreme, use KDE. For anyone who just wants to use a computer rather than fiddle with it, there are desktops like Unity and Gnome which have sane defaults and definite design decisions. There's no shame in using a different desktop that fits your needs better, and there's no shame in a desktop fitting a particular need rather than trying to be everything to everyone. Unity is not a very customisable desktop, and this is by design. Use whatever suits you better - but don't think that Unity is deficient because you can't wildly customise it.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

There is no logo or anything else next to my name. There is only my name. Below that is the password log-in box and below that is "Guest Session". Where your screenshot shows "v-ubuntu" my screen shows "Home". I've attempted searching elsewhere for a resolution to changing desktop environments but have only come across possible answers that involve using the command line. That is above my beginner ability. I can go to the Software Center and select "Installed" software and then select "Accessories" and I see that "About Xfce" is installed. If that is not the Xfce desktop then perhaps I need instructions on how to find and use a download manager. A question I might need to be asking is if Linux is still above my capability as I have been unable to find how to access programs in Ubuntu. Is there no "Start" button that leads to "All Programs" with links to all the available programs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i think that icon shows up when there are more than 1 desktop environments registered in the system. Something must have gone wrong with your xfce install.
    After running sudo apt-get install xfce4 and logging out i got the ubuntu logo icon next to the name. Clicking it offers me 'Ubuntu (default)' and 'Xfce' options.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aqualion View Post
    There is no logo or anything else next to my name. There is only my name.
    I think the poster directly above me is correct: You probably haven't actually installed the other desktop correctly, and that's why you don't have the icon.

For Gnome Classic, you need to install the gnome-panel package.
    For XFCE, you need to install the xfce4 package.
    For KDE, you need to install the kde-full package.

When you've installed one of those, log out and you'll get the little button.

A question I might need to be asking is if Linux is still above my capability as I have been unable to find how to access programs in Ubuntu. Is there no "Start" button that leads to "All Programs" with links to all the available programs?
    Trust me, if you can install Ubuntu (and you did) then Linux is not beyond your capability.

It's just that Unity is very, very different to what you know in Windows.

There's at least three ways of viewing all programs in Unity:

Right-click on the Ubuntu button at the top of the Launcher (the sidebar) and choose Applications
    Left-click on the Ubuntu button as above, and click the icon at the bottom of the Dash that looks a bit like a bookshelf (it's the icon second from the left). These icons are the "lenses" that allow you to browse and search applications, files, photos, videos etc whether they are on your computer or not.
    Press Windows-A.

You'll also need to click "See more results" to see all programs.

Linux isn't hard, but it's incredibly different to Windows, especially if you use Gnome 3 or Unity. Don't worry, just play around with it a bit and you'll get comfortable within a week or two.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Where, may I please ask, can I find the Xfce4 package and what do I do with it once I've found it?

There's at least three ways of viewing all programs in Unity:
    Right-click on the Ubuntu button at the top of the Launcher (the sidebar) and choose Applications
    Left-click on the Ubuntu button as above, and click the icon at the bottom of the Dash that looks a bit like a bookshelf (it's the icon second from the left). These icons are the "lenses" that allow you to browse and search applications, files, photos, videos etc whether they are on your computer or not.
    Press Windows-A.

Thank you for that help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

run terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    confirm with your password
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast