Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Xubuntu for 8 months, but scared of the Terminal, is that normal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Using Xubuntu for 8 months, but scared of the Terminal, is that normal?

You should be scared. Linux terminals are designed to sense the proficiency level of the user. The less proficient you are, the more it will prey on your naivety. Like a bad dog, it will sneak into your kitchen and eat the binary waffles from the top of your kitchen table. It will chew on the perls in the jewelry box of your hard drive. It will lap up the open source milk in your refrigerator. It will pull the stuffing out of your children's favorite plush software. Nay, I say unto you, you should be scared of the terminal. <--- Humor.

Just start with the easy commands. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, before the appearance of Homo-Linuxus, DOS ruled the earth. DOS was all command lines. Switching to Linux, for me, brought back fond memories of DOS. Just copy & paste the commands you need. I basically don't use terminal for anything other than apt-get, locate, and deb related commands. Occasionally there are the obscure, specialized and incredibly useful commands - batch converting files, burning ISOs to CDs or DVDs, changing permissions. I always have to look that stuff up.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans

I used to be terrified of any terminal, even a Windows command prompt. If you know what exactly it is you are doing in the terminal and understand the basic commands, you feel comfortable with it. Avoid being a root user as well, unless it is absolutely needed to do something on the system, and you are very comfortable with the terminal. Once you are, it's a wonderful thing.

Beans

Thanks for the answers. I will try learning the commands of the terminal, but I still won't be too adventurous about using it though, the threat of damaging my system is still clear in my head lol.

Beans

Follow what montag dp said
    Also, adding the following lines to your ~/.bashrc file should help make sure you don't accidentally delete something without meaning to:

alias rm='rm -i'
    alias cp='cp -i'
    alias mv='mv -i'
    so if you are trying to delete something or move or copy something it will say are you sure, just so you can revise what it is you're doing and are absolutely sure what you're doing without messing something up without knowing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

argonvegell, click the "I want to tell you..." link in my sig, it's an introduction to and tutorial about the terminal which I've personally found very useful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12