Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP ENVY dv6t-7200 Install

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on HP ENVY dv6t-7200

I followed these instructions when I installed VirtualBox on my 32-bit Desktop PC:

1. Download the Linux file from VirtualBox website. The file depends on your Linux distro and whether you have 32 or 64-bit CPU
    2. Navigate to where you downloaded the file and: sudo dpkg -i [file name]
    3. sudo apt-get update
    4. sudo apt-get install libsdl-net1.2-dev
    [For the GUI. Now the Oracle VM Virtual Box appears in system
    tools]
    5. sudo apt-get install dkms
    [Dynamic kernel module support. With dkms installed, the
    VirtualBox should always work automatically, and automatically
    rebuild when the host kernel gets an update]

But for Ubuntu 12.04.2 in this 64-bit Pavilion, I just followed steps 1-3. The libsdl-net1.2-dev and dkms must be part of the 12.04.2 installation.

I set up Win7 in VirtualBox. This YouTube video seems pretty ok to follow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaHbmbrqjvQ I inserted my Windows 7 OEM DVD and 30 minutes later it was installed ! There was one snag however. I got this blivit message right off:

"VT-x/AMD-V hardwre acceleration has been enabled, but is not operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot. Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of your host computer."

I thought I remembered seeing something like this in BIOS. Sure enough, there's a menu entry entitled 'Virtualization Technology, disable or enable'. It was disabled. The item specific help text said this: "Hardware VT enables a processor feature for running multiple simultaneous Virtual Machines allowing secialized software applications to run in full isolation of each other. HP recommends that this feature remain disabled unless specialized applications are being used." I enabled Virtualization Technology. Problem solved.

After using Ubuntu and Windows in dual-boot for a long time, this seems more elegant to me. Not having to restart to get from one to the other is certainly convenient. We'll see how it goes though. When I finish getting everything set up the way I normally do, I'll post some screen shots for anyone who's interested. I use Cairo-Dock instead of Unity and a pretty ok Conky. Note: No Win7 specific drivers needed either. Cool !!

RDL
    Last edited by Robbobden; March 27th, 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Beans

Couple attachments here - two screenshots of the new Pavilion dv6t-7000. The first is the Ubuntu desktop. The quad core i7-3610 has a temp sensor in each core. I got the temps to display in Conky using lm-sensors. The temps stay just under 120F normally with little or no activity. I watched the entire Red Box video, "Company of Heros" earlier tonight on Ubuntu. Maybe a 5-6 degree increase during the whole film. According to the readout, temps aren't high until 188F, and critical at 221F. Man, that is hot. BGA failure time if you get that hot. The 2nd shows Win7 open to the login screen. After guest additions installed, the resolution improved a lot. It'll fill the entire screen if you want. I like it the way it shows so I can mouse access Ubuntu if I need to. Also after guest additions are installed, you can set up a shared folder between Ubuntu and Win7. Worked well the first time. But after shutdown and start up, the network drive didn't reconnect and up popped a window telling you all about it. Googled this and it's a bug it seems. You have to re-map the drive to get the folders to share. Couple minutes to do that. Bummer !

I need to get Google Earth loaded up. For some reason it's not installing. After that, I'll make an image of everything using Image for Linux. If I'm allowed, I'll keep posting here regarding the discrete GPU. It's not a high priority now, though. I don't know what demercel, (the OP here), thinks about his dv6t-7200 with Windows 8. Or if he's even gone back to check replys to his post. But, I appreciate the moderators letting me use this as a kind of personal blog !!

RDL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@robbobden
    If you want I can move all your posts and reponses to your own thread and add one post for demercel to find it. Since topic was originally same PC I left it, but you now have hijacked thread, so it might be better to be your own.

Moved from this original thread.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2120660
    Last edited by oldfred; March 28th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Fine with me ....

RDL

Beans

Re: HP ENVY dv6t-7200 Install

To continue (on my own post - Thanks ! OldFred)....

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS works great on this PC, but I'm getting no 3D with Unity. (At the greeter screen, I can select Cairo Dock or Unity). And I've noticed in Cairo Dock the only option in configuration/behaviour is on click: Animation. With my 5-year old desktop PC, I see on mouse hover, on click, and on appearance/disappearance. Each of those categories gives me animation and effects. I don't think the onboard GPU on this dv6t-7000 is set up for accelerated graphics. The graphics for this PC should be cutting edge, but all I can get is 2D. Why ? Any one have any experience with this ?

BTW, I just got back from here: http://eternalvoid.net/tutorials/linux-optimus-gt650m/ where I tried the Bumblebee workaround for the discrete GPU on this PC, the NVIDIA 650M. I followed the step-by-step but the test at the end, 'optirun glxspheres', failed.

Beans

Re: HP ENVY dv6t-7200 Install

Hey Rob,
    Thanks for sharing your experience out here. Now you were trying to dual boot. I wanted to know from your experience if a clean install will be more smooth sailing. I noticed that you contemplated doing this towards the end. I have this setup on my current laptop. Ubuntu precise with windows 7 vbox and all is good. I want to upgrade my laptop to this envy quad core to the same setup I have now with possibly have all SSD hard drives.

So I would
    1) switch legacy support in bios.
    2) Blow off windohs completely
    3) install ubuntu on the entire drive.
    4) copy over my win 7 vm from backup.

I wanted to confirm that most of the problems you were running into is because of trying to dual boot. I am almost close to ditching the envy as an option to show my vote against HP aligning with m$ with this UEFI crap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12