Thread: going from mac to ubuntu, need basic help

Beans

going from mac to ubuntu, need basic help

I've been using a mac for a long time, and I've currently switched to Ubuntu, as my old macs have been obsolete for a while now. I'm working on an old Dell, and do not appear to have hardware issues. The help I need is more basic than that.
    Is there a tutorial for Mac to Ubuntu ?
    Things I'm sure are simple, but just don't know to look for, like is there an equivalent to "applications folder" in Ubuntu ? Doing just fine with most things, but simple stuff like this is slowing me down. I don't know what, or how many applications are on this computer. I have found some because the software center shows I already have them. I can't fit everything in the launcher- or can I ?
    I also would like to know what file compatibility problems I may run into, and what to do about them.
    I'm using my back up external drive from my mac. I have transferred my mp3 collection over into Rythmbox, but was having some trouble with some photo files. Seemed to resolve itself when I used a different piece of software.

Thank you for helping out a newbie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: going from mac to ubuntu, need basic help

Hi, to view all your applications, launch the applications lens by holding down the super key and pressing A, then click where it says "Installed see x more results" (Just above the second row).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Indeed. You'll find the Dash is a great way to access a lot of things. Hitting the super key (it probably has the Windows logo on it) or clicking the Ubuntu icon at the top of the Launcher will bring it up. I suggest you spend a few minutes playing around with the dash to see how it works.

Oh, also, a cool functionality of the Dash's search functionality: if you start typing what you want, it will recommend programs. For example, if you start typing "spreadsheet", it will recommend any spreadsheet applications you have installed. If you start typing "pandora", it will recommend Pithos (assuming you have it installed).
    Last edited by newb85; March 28th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Sorry, but I don't know what the "super" key is. I'm using a usb keyboard from a mac. I'll try a few things. Thanks for the suggestions. I've found tutorials on youtube, but they seem to be more related to fixing things, or installing things. I was hoping there was someone else out there, who like me is not a windows user and has switched to ubuntu, who may be able to direct me to resources. So far, Ubuntu has been a cool experience. I'm diggin it, but I'm sure I'm quite clumsy.

Beans

"Super" key found! Thank you very much for that tip!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@mixamatchi, you don't say whether you are using the 12.04 or 12.10 version of Ubuntu. There are slight differences in desktop functionality. Whichever it is, have a look at one of the first two links in my signature. They are official guides to using the Unity desktop.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mixamatchi View Post
    I also would like to know what file compatibility problems I may run into, and what to do about them.
    Were you using OS X or OS 9?

If you were using Mac OS 9, you will find that PICT files won't be usable on Ubuntu as their image data is stored in the "resource fork"; Mac OS is the only operating system that can understand the resource fork. The same problem applies to native Mac OS 9 fonts, but not on OS X which uses a more standard type of font file.

Any files created by Mac-only software will probably be unusable on Ubuntu and Windows. As you'd expect. Things like Photoshop files (.psd) , or Microsoft Office documents, will be usable on Windows due to the correct software being available, but might not work very well on Linux where the original software is not available. Microsoft Office documents can be read by Libreoffice on Ubuntu, but not perfectly. Photoshop files are also usable on GIMP apparently, but might not work very well. If you have native Photoshop files you should assess whether they can be converted to TIFF or some other cross-platform and open file format.

Ultra-common types of files such as MP3s, JPEGs/PNGs/GIFs, RTF, PDF, FLV/AVI/MKV/MP4 and the like will be immediately usable on Ubuntu. They are either standards, or open, or designed to be portable. You can even play AIFF audio files on Ubuntu, but not every player can handle them; you might want to convert them instead into something every audio player can work with. The conversion can be done on Ubuntu. Quicktime MOVs might work, but then they might not; you could convert them on the Mac to MKVs.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/