Thread: linux vs windows

Beans

linux vs windows

So I was wondering, why are there so many different articles around that compare Linux to windows? If anything it should be something closer to Linux vs windows NT( because both are kernels) OR Unity, Gnome, KDE vs windows shell. I know you can't really separate Windows NT from the windows shell. But, IMO, when comparing two things you really should limit what you are comparing.

Just kinda wonder what the community thinks about this. And am I wrong to think this, because the kernel and the shell are tied together?
    Last edited by sevensevenone; March 28th, 2013 at 08:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: linux vs windows

When they say "Linux versus Windows" I think they really mean "The GNU/Linux desktop platform versus Windows".

It's just snappier to say "Linux versus Windows". When you're writing headlines, it's important to make it snappy.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Well, both Unity and GNOME Shell definitely beat Win8 Modern UI on total usability and even aesthetics. Also, Linux is more secure than Windows both as it and other UNIX-like OSes are secure by default, and it's also has obscurity working for it on the security front as well, in addition to the OS and its respective software being free, while Windows is $300 a pop for the best version of Win7, and you have to pay for some of its software as well.

Also, Linux handles itself better than Windows on lower-end hardware. Also, in Linux, the kernel and the GUI shell are separate from one another.

Beans

The most interesting part of the whole
    17 Hours Ago #3
    TeamRocket1233c
    Just Give Me the Beans!

Join DateNov 2011LocationLawton, Oklahoma. USA.Beans68DistroUbuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Well, both Unity and GNOME Shell definitely beat Win8 Modern UI on total usability and even aesthetics. Also, Linux is more secure than Windows both as it and other UNIX-like OSes are secure by default, and it's also has obscurity working for it on the security front as well, in addition to the OS and its respective software being free, while Windows is $300 a pop for the best version of Win7, and you have to pay for some of its software as well.

Also, Linux handles itself better than Windows on lower-end hardware. Also, in Linux, the kernel and the GUI shell are separate from one another.

Is that even though "Linux handles itself better than Windows on lower-end hardware." Linux also handles itself better on higher-end hardware. Though most already know that. It is really just a kick in the pants that the mid-end part is the "hard" part of the scheme. If only we could have something that combined the packages & turned them into the various formats as well as had various GUI shells that were not vulnerable to malicious code, the Linux kernel would always rain king because "we" stay on top everything.

With that being said, what malicious code should I look out for in unity?

I have thought of a terminal code that would be viable, being
    run ctl+alt+T (twice) | find "program name" & run.

Though I don't quite know if it would work.

Beans

There isn't really anything to worry about in Ubuntu or any other Linux distro as far as malware. Also, when I was in Unity, I just locked the Terminal to the Launcher, resulting in only needing to click the button that's tied to the terminal in order to pull up a window.

However there is a GNOME Shell extension that integrates a drop-down terminal into the top panel that you only need to press the ` key in order to access.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; March 29th, 2013 at 01:55 PM.