Thread: Function keys stop working on AC power or after reboot

Beans

Function keys stop working on AC power or after reboot

Hi,

I am using Lubuntu 12.10 64-bit on a new Toshiba Satellite L840D laptop. I am having a problem with keyboard shortcuts that use the function keys: F9 to decrease volume, Alt-F4 to close windows, etc. Most of the time, these shortcuts work fine. However, they stop working altogether whenever I either wake up from suspend or plug in the power cord.

This problem doesn't happen if the power cord is in when I turn the computer on - only when I insert the cord after it has been running on battery, and it doesn't happen when I wake up from hibernate - only from suspend. The problem disappears when I reboot or when I hibernate and wake up.

The keyboard shortcuts that do not work are only the shortcuts containing function keys that are defined in the file .config/openbox/lubuntu-rc.xml. The function keys still work for shortcuts that are not defined in that file: e.g. pressing F1 still works to open help screens and F2 shows a power manager notification. And, all keyboard shortcuts defined in .config/openbox/lubuntu-rc.xml that don't use the F keys do still work (e.g. ctrl-alt-right to switch between desktops).

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by kcc12; March 28th, 2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: edited for formatting