Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers for Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 Ultra

Beans

Drivers for Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 Ultra

I have tried a number of different forums and searched for hours not the internet/youtube and just can get them to is stall. Here is what my computer specs are:

ABIT is7-v2 motherboard with a Pentium 4 3.00 ghz processor, video card is a geforce FX 5700 ulta, 2 gb of ram.

so that is my computer I just installed a fresh install of ubuntu 12.10 on my computer, I have to boot the livecd with nomodeset to be able to install, and now after the install i have to hold done the shift key and edit the boot menu with nomodeset to boot ubuntu and even get to the desktop.

Here is a link to the driver that i have downloaded and tried to install (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/35482). When i try to install it is gives me a error saying something about the x session is in use and that i need to reconfig it.

This is what im struggling with.
    1. on the bottom of the link i listed it mentions that nvidia gives me a utilty that will config the x server for me. BUT I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE IT????
    2. I also says that i can run "man nvidia-xconfig" to learn how to edit it by hand. BUT WHEN I ENTER "man nvidia-xconfig" IN THE TERMINAL, NOTHING HAPPENS?????

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO CONFIG SO I CAN RUN THE INSTALLER WITHOUT ERRORS???????????????

Beans

Re: I cannot get my Nvidia drivers to install. Been working on it for a week now.

i just tried to run the installer again and it is asking me to "please exit x before i install"

How do i do that is ubuntu 12.10?

Beans

Re: I cannot get my Nvidia drivers to install. Been working on it for a week now.

It is never advised to use the drivers from Nvidia's site. You must use the ones Ubuntu provides as they are tested.

To install, do "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get install linux-headers linux-headers-generic && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current"

Beans

so i input all the commands everything seams to be working dont know why i did not find this forum earlier.
    Last edited by glutetoot; March 28th, 2013 at 04:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Though it is normally not recommened to install the drivers outside of the Ubuntu repositories, there is nothing wrong with doing so.

If the problem of killing X occurs, simply press ctrl + alt + f1, login as your user and run

Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    this will kill X, and you'll be able to do what needs to be done. S'long as you know how to get to the file that you're trying to run/install.

As for installing from the repos, most likely you'll still need to run

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    So that an xorg.conf file will be generated.

Upon a restart, open the nvidia Xserver settings app to futher configure and adjust whatever you can.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The GUI way to install the nvidia proprietary drivers is via software & updates - additional drivers tab. At least that's what it called in raring. It might have been called software sources under 12.10

Beans

ok so i did what you said and it seamed to work. I did and do not have do boot with nomodeset any more!!!!!!! but when i boot up after login i boot to a blank desktop?????

what is up with that?? did something go goofy? i tried changing my resolution on the screen but it did not fix it. any seggestions????

Beans

ok well i just load gnome and i have a desktop.

I went to watch some hd videos on youtube and they are choppy "really choppy". Is it because my graphic card is ancient, its a geforce fx 5700 ultra???? or is something else wrong with the software still.

anyone know anything about this card? good or bad? Is it time to upgrade??????

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's old, and you won't get great performance from it. The motherboard supports an 8x AGP slot, so you would need to find an AGP video card. Your best bet would be to look on EBay for an AGP video card. Before you actually purchase one, post back with what you are considering so that perhaps we can help you here by determining what type of driver support and overall performance you could expect. With the newer versions of Ubuntu use Unity, so I might suggest a slightly different variation of Ubuntu like lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, glutetoot,

The 173.14 driver referenced in your Original Post is the correct one for a GeForce FX 5700 ultra, and drivers after that will not support your present card.

In addition the 173.14 driver is unlikely to be compatible with the Xserver-xorg of 12.04.2 or later ubuntu versions.

If you installed the present driver with sudo apt-get install nvidia-current, or from Additional drivers other than the 173 version, you will need to run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-current # change the package name if different
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-173
    That is in addition to downgrading to 12.04.1 or before.

So your best bet is the advise to get a better compatible video card, preferably GT 8xxx series or later, but 8AGP.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast