Thread: Raring and persistence

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Raring and persistence

I decided to test raring by using a live dvd and try to make it persistent. The instructions were straight forward up to booting and striking the F6 key to enter 'an options' menu. There was no additional menu presented.
    Is the raring daily created so this option is available? If so when should F6 be depressed? If not I suppose I should have asked FIRST!!!

TIA
    Pete
    Last edited by pfeiffep; March 28th, 2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: mark thread solved

Beans

Re: Raring and persistence

Persistance only works on USB's. Not for DVD's. You will need a 4GB USB stick for persistance to work. 2GB works too, but will not leave much space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

According the the instructions I read one can make a live dvd and partition a usb stick in such a fashion that whatever configs made are saved to the usb ... but possibly I misread https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence
    I am NOT able to boot from USB stick on one of my pcs hence the dvd

Beans

When you hit F6 you'll get a little options window, press Esc to dismiss. Then you should have access to the kernel options line, ect.
    (whether it all works out as link describes, no clue..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

DUH - I was waiting until I saw 'try or install'

If one depresses the F6 key at the FIRST graphics display the menu IS presented, and if persistent is appended to the command the live DVD is persistent provided the other instructions have been followed.

Yes I tested persistence on DVD by changing time, connecting to internet via my secure WIFI and then rebooted. I'm posting this from the reboot - time correct, and WIFI connected without re-entering my key!

Additionally the persistence works on a raring daily!

When rebooting to your permanent installation it's probably best to remove usb stick as well as the dvd!

next step is to install configured raring to USB!
    Last edited by pfeiffep; March 28th, 2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: additional info