Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

It is a $100 once to get a new key, not $100 per system.

But the new Linux LF loader uses hashes and Matthew Garrett says he plans to merge his shim with the Microsoft key, that Ubuntu & Redhat currently use with the LF loader version that uses hash. But that requires the next version of the kernel and release of all the changes to grub. Will not be in 13.04.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I tried to install the signed kernel on a live usb stick , it wouldn't configure and resulted in an unbootable stick so I guess that option is out .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Microsoft bashing works better when it's informed, not paranoid.

It's rational for Microsoft to want to verify that Windows hasn't been subject to a boot-time attack. Contrary to what Torvalds seems to have said, it's rational for Linux to do the same.

It's the fact that Windows controls the market that influences a handful of OEM's to ignore the requirements of the secure boot standard and push out hardware that can only boot the version of Windows that was pre-installed on it because they broke the user's ability to disable secure boot and to use his own keys. They can get away with it because the market has no incentive to care about Linux users.

If the situation was reversed, if Linux controlled 90 percent of the market, the same scenario would be playing out, tilted in Linux' favor.

It's the incessant focus on the evils (real and imaginary) of Microsoft, and the mirror-image cheerleading assertions that Linux is always right and always best about everything, that often gets in the way of doing something smart.

(On the cost issue: No one in the Linux community has stood up and said, "We will issues keys. We will verify the requesters." For free or for a fee, or otherwise.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    No one in the Linux community has stood up [...]
    I think the lawyers/courts are going to decide this one.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

My MS bashing IS informed from watching their lies and dirty tricks since DOS was their only product .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I think the lawyers/courts are going to decide this one.
    Nice read Vin. Thanks..

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    try again, if still issue then it's on your end, server is just fine atm & reasonably fast
    I am getting an HTTP 404 Page NOT Found from within MSIE 10.0 on DELL OEM Windows 8! Any Ideas?
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

Same 404 Page NOT Found in Apple Safari 5.1.7 for Windows!
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

By the way, I have tried 12.04.2 on this system and it does NOT work at all! Have NOT yet tried 12.10 but I am NOT sure it will work either Because 12.10 is actually Older then 12.04.2 and they both now come with the Same 3.5.X Kernel, just to let you guys know.

Beans
    Distro

Tried to Download with Both Mozilla Firefox Nightly Build (X64 22.0 Alpha 1 for Windows) and Mozilla SeaMonkey Nightly Build (X86 2.19 Alpha 1 for Windows ) same 404 Page NOT Found Error on CDIMAGE Download Server. Releases Download Server works just fine so the Problem is NOT on my END. All other Websites work just fine. Just FYI.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast