Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

    Greetings,
    I don't dual boot but everything that I know about this process is that with Win8, dual boot or even with just Ubuntu you will need a UEFI enabled kernel on a Secure Boot machine even if you are only booting Ubuntu, and probably even if you have Secure Boot turned off. That means Kernel 3.8 or newer. There does exist reported machine specific quirks that the Kernel Devs will have to address on an individual basis. There are many posts in this section that suggest not testing on a Primary Box. I personally choose to ignore that suggestion but I don't mind a reinstall, its cheaper than a movie, popcorn and drink.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Algonquin, IL USA
    Beans
    672
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

    Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    I don't dual boot but everything that I know about this process is that with Win8, dual boot or even with just Ubuntu you will need a UEFI enabled kernel on a Secure Boot machine even if you are only booting Ubuntu, and probably even if you have Secure Boot turned off. That means Kernel 3.8 or newer. There does exist reported machine specific quirks that the Kernel Devs will have to address on an individual basis. There are many posts in this section that suggest not testing on a Primary Box. I personally choose to ignore that suggestion but I don't mind a reinstall, its cheaper than a movie, popcorn and drink.
    That was exactly my point when I said that 12.04.2 LTS does NOT work on my 2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 PC, the Machine needs 13.04 to work, and right now I am having trouble downloading 13.04 Nightly from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current AND http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/pending (404 Page NOT Found Error when I click on the AMD 64 Download Link)!
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

    Just out of curiosity, have you tried zsyncing the last iso that worked for you? BTW both of the links you posted work for me.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    12,997

    Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    That was exactly my point when I said that 12.04.2 LTS does NOT work on my 2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 PC, the Machine needs 13.04 to work, and right now I am having trouble downloading 13.04 Nightly from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current AND http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/pending (404 Page NOT Found Error when I click on the AMD 64 Download Link)!
    Where are you clicking on, at top of page or on the actual file/iso name below. Use the one below, as in screen (raring-desktop-amd64.iso
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    111

    Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

    [QUOTE=kevpan815;12578282]That was exactly my point when I said that 12.04.2 LTS does NOT work on my 2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 PC, <snip>

    Ubuntu 12.04.2LTS works with a UEFI machine, but you need the 64-bit version as I have not found any machine with 32-bit UEFI firmware. All the Windows 8 notebooks have 64-bit UEFI firmware.

    One way to run a 32-bit Ubuntu (or any other distro that is not UEFI-enabled) is to install it in a non-UEFI machine, then copy the image to a target machine. Some adjustments are required which involve editing (i.e., changing to appropriate UUIDs) the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and /etc/fstab files, but it is not too difficult.

    Of course you can turn on the (BIOS) compatible mode, then you can install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu. But you will lose the ability to dual-boot into Windows 8.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Algonquin, IL USA
    Beans
    672
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Where are you clicking on, at top of page or on the actual file/iso name below. Use the one below, as in screen (raring-desktop-amd64.iso
    Thank You, mc4man, your solution worked, it looks like the Download Links at the Top of the Page are Broken Today, i will get this Downloaded A.S.A.P. and let you guys know if Today's Build Passes or Fails Secere Boot.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    699

    Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    Every Nightly Build of 13.04 has recently been Failing the DELL UEFI Security Check A.K.A. Secere Boot, and I refuse to Disable Dell UEFI Secure Boot just to run the Latest Nightly Build of Ubuntu, as I would be putting myself at a huge Security Risk if I were to get some kind of Virus/Malware that Targets Linux, Just FYI. I will return to Ubuntu Nightly Build Testing just as soon as Canonical fixes their Secure Boot Problem.
    Just to set things straight.

    ... as I would be putting myself at a huge Security Risk if I were to get some kind of Virus/Malware that Targets Linux, Just FYI.
    This does not hold water because you would be putting yourself "at a huge Security Risk" if you were to get some kind of Virus/Malware that Targets Windows (boot process), Just FYI.

    If you were to get some kind of Virus/Malware that Targets Linux (or Windows) on Ubuntu it would not help much because only boot process is signed ("therefore immune") and after that loading Ubuntu there isn't much that is signed ATM and i hope it won't be for a while because i don't like lock-in to just USC for example and not to be able to install .deb package from the internet. And if you are not doing this and only use USC i do imagine the risk is not high to get something you would not like from USC.

    P.S. If you are afraid to use Ubuntu you probably should stop doing it and just use Windows and the apps available from Microsoft store and that is it and that will give you decent security but it's still possible you would get something you would not like because i can assure you UEFI+SB didn't make Windows "bullet proof" and immune to all security risk out there it might just slightly made it harder for some of it.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 29th, 2013 at 02:25 AM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Algonquin, IL USA
    Beans
    672
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Had no choice but to go back to DELL OEM Windows 8!

    Today's AMD64 Proposed Build Passed Secure Boot! Problem Solved! By the way I did NOT say that I was trying to download X86 Ubuntu. I said that I was trying to use X86 Mozilla SeaMonkey for Windows (Mozilla does NOT make an X64 Build of SeaMonkey for Windows, AND Mac, ONLY Linux is X64 for Mozilla SeaMonkey) to download AMD 64 Ubuntu 13.04 Proposed. Just FYI.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •