Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I have as of yet to see my desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I have as of yet to see my desktop

Mecharius; Hi!

Regretfull that you are experiencing such difficulties installing. Try with baby steps:
    1. Boot the install cd - bios is set to boot the cd as 1st boot priority;
    2. At the purple screen, if you hit the enter key what results ? We hope at this point you load to a language selection screen. Do you ?
    one step at a time

just try'n to help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

After letting it sit for some time I had to eventualy hard shutdown then bring it back up. Went to boot options then back into the cd. From the menu which among other things allows me to select thr try ubuntu option, I hit f6 to bring up other options. Here I see that acpi is set to off (presented as (acpi=off). Now, I may not currently be the most computer literate individual but I am fairly certain that acpi is something which in most cases is needed. Could changing this have a positive result for my machine?

In the other options I tried nomodeset then hit try ubuntu without install. From there back to the purple screen. Only instead of Ubuntu, it says ubuntu 12.10 in much more plain lettering. this screen stops and presents with two things I have seen before.

[ 53.816300] sp5100_tco: mmio address 0xfec000f0 already in use_amd.bin

and

[ 52.733627] microcode: failed to load file amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin

At least this time I am given something when it stops. I feel at least some progress has been made. enter key does nothing. Pressing any key does nothing. One small step and all that...

Beans
    Distro

@Bashing-om:
    As soon as the purple screen pops up, i can hit any key (enter included) and get the language selection options.

I am willing to sit through having this broken down for me Barney style if that is what it takes to have my machine up and running. Everything I do is exposing me to more of this machine, which is helping me have a more complete knowledge of my machine as an entire system as well as the specific operating system that I am trying to use. Much appreciation is given to all those who are willing to help me through this drawn out process.

Beans
    Distro

So I selected the nomodset as well as the no acpi setting from the boot options and then hit try ubuntu without install. This was my why not(?) option, and, suddenly i find myself with a proper desktop up and running. Ubuntu would appear to be functional with those two settings. Now the only problem is, this is the try version. How shall I go about installing it like this?

Beans
    Distro

Sa (situational awareness) is something I hear frequently in my job. It is drilled into us again and again and again. Yet, apparently I lack the ability to apply this when I am off duty. I look at the desktop and I see an icon labelled 'Istall ubuntu'. probably should have tried that before posting up my previous comment.

Beans
    Distro

unfortunately in the install screen from the try ubuntu option it froze up on the select wireless internet option. I guess saying it is frozen is not quite correct, as the cursor is able to be moved, it is just perpetually in the loading icon. But I still feel as if I have achieved some form of victory here, finally I have gotten to the desktop, even if it is only a temporary thing. At least now I have a better idea of what must be done.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Do you have an Ethernet connection? Hardwired not wireless? There seem to be a lot more wireless drivers and not all are included with the installer. But almost all wired drivers are, so you can get on-line with the wired Ethernet driver.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Unfortuantely I do not have the option to connect to the internet via ethernet cable. Since my internet is available via this building and not some elected option (this si the cheapest option available) then i must rely on the wireless which they have flowing through the walls of my room. I do believe that it would not ne smile upon if I broke into the comms room and hardwired myself into the internet.

Beans
    Distro

I have received the same result from selecting the 'do not want to connect' option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not know all the issues with wireless, mine just works. Those that know can help but it may be best to start another thread.
    lspci > ~/abs-network.txt
    lsusb >> ~/abs-network.txt
    ifconfig >> ~/abs-network.txt
    iwconfig >> ~/abs-network.txt
    Now post a new thread and attach (via the paperclip in advanced reply) the abs-network.txt file which will be in your home folder.

Some also have had this issue.
    There is a bug in ubiquity on the 12.04 iso that causes the installer to crash part way through on some hardware.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/996568
    From liveCD before install.
    sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu
    or (ubiquity-slideshow-lubuntu) (and ubiquity-slideshow-xubuntu)
    The Alternate iso is another option as it is text based and also does not use the slideshow.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubunt...ative-download
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast