Re: I have as of yet to see my desktop

Mecharius;
    Still hang'n with you.
    Double check this:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf
    does indeed result in this:
    The cat command gave me:

blacklist sp5100_tcogeist@geist-Satellite-L505D:~$
    as the config line should only be "blacklist sp5100_tco".

just check'n on where things stand
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Code:
    bash: cat/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf: No such file or directory
    This is what I received.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mecharius;
    Apparently the file creation did not happen to blacklist that module.
    - This is ubuntu - for every user there is a different way of doing things. In this instance what I would do:
    As a mechanism already exist for the purpose of not loading a particular module; I would use it -> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf ::
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf-old #just to be safe
    sudo gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    ((all prior admonishments in respect to elevated privileges apply !!)
    In the file editor, arrow down the existing last line and arrow across to the end ->do a return to begin on the next as a new line;
    type # (each line) -> who, what when where and why making this change in the file -> new line;
    insert the text "blacklist sp5100_tco" - with out the quotes -> return
    enter a final # and return to indicate that final line in the config does indeed contain a new line character.
    save the file and exit back to the desktop. Close all out.
    Reboot. and see what results, see what might have to be done now to get a operable stable operating system.

just my opinion

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharius View Post
    Code:
    bash: cat/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf: No such file or directory
    This is what I received.
    You have been requested to show the output of "cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf" where "cat" is the command and "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf" is the file path.

You seem to have entered "cat/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf" which is not the same thing - a space must exist between a command and a path.

To avoid errors I suggest you copy and paste code into the terminal, rather than trying to type it out.

Please try "cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf" again and post the output so that we can see the contents of this file. Hopefully this will be the single line "blacklist sp5100_tco".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    You have been requested to show the output of "cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf" where "cat" is the command and "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf" is the file path.

You seem to have entered "cat/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf" which is not the same thing - a space must exist between a command and a path.

To avoid errors I suggest you copy and paste code into the terminal, rather than trying to type it out.

Please try "cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf" again and post the output so that we can see the contents of this file. Hopefully this will be the single line "blacklist sp5100_tco".
    Unfortunately copy&paste is not always an option for me. The wireless reception is less for my linux machine then it is for my windows machine.

You are correct, I missed the space there.

Code:
    This is the response I continue to be given when I enter this.

Beans
    Distro

Mecharius;
    IF that output
    is what is contained in that file .......... it is a incorrect entry in that file.
    That entry should read blacklist sp5100_tco

By the way, I thought we had lost you; Pleased to hear from you.

just ry'n to help

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro

My employer keeps me away from my machines for what can sometimes extend up to a month. I will never be lost to this. The seeds of obsession have already gone to root and all that. SO would this have been an issue with the attempt to blacklist or with the cat command? And in post #83 you said file editor or you meaning in the edit function of the grub? Or again, is there something here I am missing?

I feel the need to express my gratitude towards any patience and time given to me. This is easily the most involved use of one of my machines I have had and I do believe that it is apparent that my skills as a computer user are only now, through this project, beginning to grow beyond a basic level user.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Mecharius;
    IF that output
    is what is contained in that file .......... it is a incorrect entry in that file.
    That entry should read blacklist sp5100_tco

By the way, I thought we had lost you; Pleased to hear from you.

just ry'n to help
    That is also what I get from putting in:

Code:
    printf "blacklist sp5100_tco" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf
    as suggested in post #2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sorry, it seems I somehow missed the activity in this thread for the past few days.

So, we have learned that your cpu is an AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 which is in the K10 family of AMD processors. (I don't understand why your dmesg output says it has "1 cpu cores" immediately after naming it as a Dual-Core processor.) Anyhow, being a K10 means that the amd64-microcode package should be installed and loaded, so you should try to install that.

Have you configured your machine to update itself over the internet? If not, here's that tutorial link again. Once that's done you should apply ALL available updates -- the Ubuntu update manager should do that for you painlessly.

Then, check in your Software Center to see if amd64-microcode has been installed, and if not, install it.

So much for that.

Now back to the sp5100_tco module. This output
    Code:
    is fine. It just indicates that there is no newline character at the end of the blacklist-sp5100.conf file. So the output of the cat command is followed immediately by your shell prompt, on the same line. That should not prevent the blacklisting from working. I've tried using single blacklist entries like that, with no blank line at the end of the file, and they work. So I don't know why the sp5100_tco module is still being loaded. Apparently something else in your system is overriding the blacklist. I think there is another way to deal with that, but before worrying about it any further I'd like to be sure we still need to. So yes, you can delete that file:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-sp5100.conf
    And then post back to confirm that you have updated EVERYTHING and (hopefully) resolved the amd64-microcode matter, and let us know whether you are still getting errors regarding the sp5100_tco when you reboot. Hopefully, updating may magically get rid of that problem too.

You will be able to check that by running
    Code:
    dmesg | grep "sp5100_tco"

Beans
    Distro

Mecharius;

Uhhh... If the code given by r.stiltskin was successful, then there is no need to do the file edit as per my post #83. Both do the same thing; to add a module to the blacklist file. And Yeah we were going to use the tett editor after copying the file as a backup (the command, cp)

At the present time we need to know if that module is blacklisted. So let's look. In order to just look at a file we will use the command "cat" for contatenate (sp??) and give it a path to that file (blacklist.conf) who's path (location) is "/" for root, in the top directory "etc" in a subdirectory "modprobe.d"... So that becomes this command:
    Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    a space between the command "cat" and what "cat" is going to act on.
    the last line in that file should be -- blacklist sp5100_tco .

Is that so, or do we still have to make that happen ?

it is all a learning experience

woops r.stiltskin was faster with his post than I was// We will follow that guidance and if needed return to editing that file .
    Bt the way, his explanation on the output is nice to realize //

Happy ubutu'n !

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast