Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I have as of yet to see my desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: I have as of yet to see my desktop

Yes, that was it! It looked odd, so I wanted to be certain. Much appreciation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharius View Post
    @r.stiltskin
    The first symbol in the code you posted here is unknown to me. How do I produce that?
    Yes, lowercase L.

So, I tried to figure out exactly which cpu you have from the "lscpu" output but I haven't found anything that corresponds to "model 16, stepping 6" etc. But judging by the error messages you were getting yesterday you probably should have that amd64-microcode package.

If it doesn't show up among the output of "lsmod | grep amd", I think you should try to install it by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install amd64-microcode

Beans
    Distro

this gave me:

E: Unable to locate package amd64-microcode

I was running under the assumption that this is something which has to be pulled from the internet, but felt i should try anyway. Unfortunately I can only have one machine connected to the internet at a time, and it takes a half hour or so to register that the machine has logged off. so it may be a bit before I can test this next part.

Beans
    Distro

Still having the same result. Currently posting from my phone so I can allow my Linux machine internet access. I will dig around the internet see if I can find a download link somewhere.

Beans
    Distro

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...e/1.20120910-1

Is this what I should be looking for?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes. I believe it's in the multiverse section of the repository. In the Ubuntu Software Center's edit menu select software sources and then check "software restricted by copyright or legal issues". Then click reload. After that you should be able to install the amd64-microcode package if it's included on the installation CD. If not, you'll have to get your internet connection working so you'll be able to get it online.

Beans
    Distro

I have the internet up on my toshiba currently. i can get online with linux. The CD did nothing for me. On the page that I posted a link for there are multiple download possibilities. Which one do I want? What am i looking for exactly here? Hopefully in the future, after I learn this, I will need less assistance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Years ago before I had router, I also had the 20 to 30 minute wait between computers being recognized. I was frustrated as I knew I was an authorized user and it took me a while but I found I could spoof my HWaddr. I believe my current router is still using the hw setting from a computer long since retired.
    But now you can get an inexpensive router and easily share multiple computers and one Interent. It also makes it a lot easier to move data from one to another.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

The wifi is distributed throughout the building. It is not specific to me. Unfortunately I have no access to hardwired internet or to the machines which provide the wireless. So I am limited to one account which means one machine at a time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

????????

Oh, I get it. Somehow it seems like oldfred's comment in #58 is the answer to your #59. His point is that you can get a wireless router for a few bucks, have the router sign into your wifi account thus creating your own little subnet, and then you can connect your several computers to the router's subnet (either wirelessly or wired). But that's a project for another day.

I don't want you to download anything directly from the link you posted. Instead, I want you to stop using the installation CD altogether and start updating your machine directly from the internet using the Ubuntu Software Center, or Synaptic (which I personally prefer), or just using apt directly on the command line. Over the next few hours or days you should try all 3 & see which you like. (Just so you'll know, Software Center and Synaptic are both just graphic front-ends to apt, and apt is a command line front-end to the Debian dpkg package management system.)

For the moment ...
    since your machine wasn't connected to the internet when you installed, the installer probably didn't configure them to use an online repository. Here's a tutorial that should help you get that set up. At this point you should designate a download server, select the various repositories you want to use, deselect the installation CD, and then "Update", which will download an up to date listing of all programs that are available for your Linux distribution. After that, you will be able to install the amd64-microcode package just by selecting from the Software Center's menu, or by running the apt command described earlier.

You will also find that your Update Manager (another apt front-end) will notify you that updates are available for many (probably 100s) of the packages you have installed. You should install those updates at this point. It might even turn out that some of your installation problems were automatically fixed by these updates.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast